No BUS Signal

Dirtymax1

Smoker
I recently purchased a 2001 dodge quad cab cummins. The motor runs fine and everything seems to work fine on the truck besides the gauges and the tail lights. I have checked the fuses and all is fine. I was told to check all of the ground wires on the truck. Just wanted to know if anyone else has delt with a problem I am facing. Any info would be great.

I was getting on here to post the same thing on my 02 with the same problem. That's weird. It's a 1698 code. Gauges are not working and a no bus on digital screen.

I called john and ask him and he said the same, check the ground on the right batt. I did and it's all fine. Are you in nasty wet weather like I am?

Maybe someone has had the same problem and will be able to help us both out. I was reading that it could be any one of the sensors on the truck that is causing the problem. Iam not real sure which direction to go. Let me know if you figure anything out on yours and I will do the same.

Ok I went and unplugged and replugged in the three plugs on the PCM on the fire wall on the right side of the truck, did the same to the two on the main harness, checked all my grounds, checked fuses and still nothing. I even drove it down the road for a bit and warmed it up. Truck runs fine but the (ABS), air bag, and check Eng light is staying on with no gauge work. I don't know if I should just go get the PCM looked at by the dodge house and maybe re flash it?

Oh and my tail lights and brake lights are working.

OK I have read else ware that a guy was able to flash his high beams and it started to work. so i went outside and fired up the truck and flashed the high beams. the volts and the fuel gauge started working. flashed a few more times and the tach came on. Flashed a few more times and the oil pressure came on but still says no bus and the check eng light is on. go give that hell and see what it does for you.

the gauges will go away after a bit but its worth a shot. I have my batt cables undone right now and im waiting 15 min to reconnect.

unhooking the grounds didnt help. I have a feeling its the PCM but that is the last thing I wanna change if I can help it. im going to do everything i can before I replace it.

I don't think the truck would run if it was the PCM. I was reading to pull the screw out of the center of the fuse block under the hood clean the connection and reconnect.

I dont have a screw in the center of my fuse box

I just got two alligator clips and a piece of wire and put one side of it the the PCM where it grounds and the other to the neg terminal of the batt, basically making a new ground wire. that did nothing. still same problem. I called about a PCM and its going to be about $500 for it. With that being said, If i go to the junk yard to find one, does it have to be the same yr make and model or package?

I don't know maybe someone will chime in and let us know. I have been able to work on my truck yet because Iam still at work. I will let you know what I come up with

I just went to go get lunch and everything was working fine. LOL just cant win