Now injectors need replaced, and tranny smells burned.

cerickson

fullpull108
Trucks at the shop with the fass getting replaced. They took it for test drive. Got it back to shop lastnight. Checked the injectors this morning. Found the truck has 3 weak injectors. Glad that they found it in the shop and it didn't happen while the wife was driving it. Getting new bosch stock sticks put in it. They also said they pulled the tranny dipstick and it smelled like it was a little burned. How long do you guys think the tranny will make it before it goes? I'm laid off now and can't afford a tranny. I have to stick the injectors on a credit card. What kind of prices would I be looking at for a tranny build?:nail:

I just bought everything I could from Goerend including a billet flex plate and all billet internals. With everything including labor an pulling it and building it I will be right around 6k I think.

Personally, I'd say that if the transmission is not physically acting up or slipping, do normal maintenance, which is a fluid/filter change and a band adjustment.
Detune (If it has a tuner) and baby it along until times are better.

Mark.

amazing what maintenace will do!
Fluid filter now and again in a month or 2 ..
Go from there.

Truck is bone stock. Only has 103,000 miles on it. Tranny seems fine, always shift's fine. I don't hot rod it or pull anything heavy. Don't have any mod's done to it except for the Fass. Thanks for all the help. Shop said if I replaced the fluid it could possibly shorten the life of the tranny with it in this condition. Is this right or wrong?

They say if there is clutch material in the trans fluid then don't change it. I ran mine for 6 months with no 2nd gear and a lot of clutch material in it till I put the new trans in, and it still worked when I pulled it out. Check your dipstick for clutch material.

As I understand it, sometimes the particulate band/clutch material suspended in the seared fluid helps it to "grab" when the bands and clutches lose material.
Draining the fluid takes away those particles and can cause the clutches to slip.
It doesn't affect the bands as much because they can be re-tightened to compensate.

If the fluid is only "dark" and not "black", I don't believe it's going to affect a thing by changing it, but leaving it in can hurt.
When fluid gets seared, it can get acidic and that definitely means the additives in the fluid are no longer doing their job correctly.

Basically, it's a catch 22, either way can do harm, it's just a matter of time either way, but one way MAY be quicker than the other, then again, it might not.

Mark.

Pull the pan and change filter and fluid. Wouldn't hurt to flush the complete system. I'm not saying this is the case, but sometimes shops can be aggressive with spending your money.

As I understand it, sometimes the particulate band/clutch material suspended in the seared fluid helps it to "grab" when the bands and clutches lose material.
Draining the fluid takes away those particles and can cause the clutches to slip.
It doesn't affect the bands as much because they can be re-tightened to compensate.

If the fluid is only "dark" and not "black", I don't believe it's going to affect a thing by changing it, but leaving it in can hurt.
When fluid gets seared, it can get acidic and that definitely means the additives in the fluid are no longer doing their job correctly.

Basically, it's a catch 22, either way can do harm, it's just a matter of time either way, but one way MAY be quicker than the other, then again, it might not.

Mark.

That's what I was thinking. I will check it when I get it home, so I can see for myself. Thanks again guys.

Chad, all I can say is you have a lucky lady. :)
I'm so jealous that's she has the red Mega-Dually that I can only wish for. :cool:

Mark.

Mark she's pissed right now. The damn thing mite be for sale. I tell her its all part of owning a diesel.

I'm trying to find a local goerend dealer around me. Tried calling them to find anybody around me but had to leave a message. Anybody know of one of their authorized dealers in Missouri?

She wanted a megacab and I wanted a dually so this is what we ended up with.

Neat way of finding middle ground in one vehicle, give her the Mega Cab and yet you get your dually. Nice. :)

She'll be happy once she's driving it again.
You're right, this current scenario is part of the experience of owning one with a commonrail and an auto.

Mark.

That's why I told her I wanted a 6 speed. She didn't want to shift all the time. Told her clutches are cheaper than the whole transmission. She got what she wanted so here we sit. I will check fluids, and if everything is good will baby it. And use tax money for the trans. So much for getting efi-live this spring. Guess it will get the built trans first.

You may be OK. Just change the fluid and filter as suggested above. I wouldn't do a fluid exchange. When you pull the pan off you will be able to see the magnet and see how much metal is stuck to it to know if your in trouble or not. It might not be that bad. Never know until you drop the pan.

Forgot to add, the magnet will have fine metal shavings on it. That's normal. If you can't see the hole in the magnet and it looks like a porcupine with some much caked on it, you might be in just a little be of trouble.

Back