Now injectors need replaced, and tranny smells burned.

Got truck home and pulled tranny dipstick. Was definitely little darker than it should be, but not black. Just a dark red. And smelled a little burnt, but not real bad. Going to drop the pan and see what I have on the magnet. On the drive home the truck to shift the same as it always did. Felt like the same truck. Maybe trans was on the way out when I bought the truck. The dealer I bought it from just did a full service on the truck including a tranny flush. I checked it after test driving it, and it was fresh and clean. With no abnormal, or burnt smell to it. I don't know crap about auto's. How many quarts of fluid does a stock panned 48re hold? And what would you guy's recommend for fluid?

Last edited:
The way you said the fluid looks I wouldn't put anything expensive in, not worth it if you ask me.

Decided to just park the truck till I got the funds to get it fixed right. Just waiting on my w-2's. Maybe uncle sam won't screw me to bad this year and mite get a little back. Thanks again for all the help guys.

I'm trying to find a local goerend dealer around me. Tried calling them to find anybody around me but had to leave a message. Anybody know of one of their authorized dealers in Missouri?

Call me when you get ready to build it.

Got to thinking while laying in bed last night. Could I have hurt the tranny? When we had below zero temps, I had cardboard on the grille to keep heat in the engine. I know we use grille covers on our semi's at work. Could it be that the tranny cooler got wasn't getting enough air, making the tranny overheat? Just something I was thinking about. Am I overthinking the situation or could it be possible?

Got to thinking while laying in bed last night. Could I have hurt the tranny? When we had below zero temps, I had cardboard on the grille to keep heat in the engine. I know we use grille covers on our semi's at work. Could it be that the tranny cooler got wasn't getting enough air, making the tranny overheat? Just something I was thinking about. Am I overthinking the situation or could it be possible?

The tranny fluid heat exchanger will maintain tranny fluid temp within a few degrees of engine coolant temp. Running empty with the front blocked, I doubt you could even get the tranny over 190*F which is perfectly normal temp for long fluid life.

If you want a good bandaid, drop the pan and refill with John Deere HyGard low viscosity, or Case Hy Trans low viscosity, or regular hydraulic fluid low viscosity. The low viscosity is important for cold winter driving, otherwise you'll be idling the truck for 2-3 minutes each morning before it will move!

I've seen totally slipping 48re's with clutches worn down to bare metal that still would hold above stock power levels with just a fluid change to tractor/hydraulic fluid.

So it just "smelled a little burnt"? Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it's never slipped or acted up, drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and run it. I doubt anything is seriously wrong, and you're probably just being a little paranoid. I think just about all of our work truck's trans fluid "smells a little burnt" and I haven't had one quit yet.

I will agree, a trans fluid "flush" is not good for a trans that hasn't been properly maintained, but just changing the fluid in the pan rarely causes problems.

Last edited:
Thanks Brandon. I was thinking of doing just what you suggested. Took it for a drive yesterday. I think I am paranoid. Every time I stopped I thought I smelled hot tranny fluid. And when driving up hills I thought it was slipping. Maybe it's just they got it in my head my tranny is on it's last leg so I am second guessing everything.

LOL, just drop the pan and change the filter, add 6 qrts of ATF 4+ and see what happens. As I said before, it won't hurt and could save you a ton of money. Beat there is no much on the magnet in the pan. They were just trying to real you in, being as you were on the line like a fish.

I agree with the poster above! ^^^
Transmissions and injectors are easy money for those who know how to play people and few people understand them both.

Mark.

What's a good filter for the trans. I can get the wix filter kit at the local O'reilly's. Will this be a good choice? I hate auto's.

Yes wix is good, though a 95 filter bolts right in and will provide more filter media

Just ask for a tranny filter for 1996 dodge ram 2500. Automatic of course.

dually we use around the farm is a 03, has 380,xxx miles and trans would pop out of gear, slip in 2cd, and gear hunt between 3/4.....changed fluid and filters and now it shifts perfectly. lol.

Alright got the tranny pan off today. Checked the magnet. Looked fairly clean. (I guess) Didn't really know what I was looking at. It had some mushy crap on it. Just a few little pieces of metal. Didn't look like a porcupine. Cleaned pan and magnet real good. Installed a wix filter from a 95 dodge auto. Reinstalled pan. Dumped 6 quarts Valvoline atf-4 in it. (Was told not to put the expensive stuff in, incase it was fried) Took it for test drive of about 6 miles of city driving and high-way. Shifted good. Stopped frequently to make sure no leaks and the fluid was full. Hopefully it will last awhile. I will keep an eye on it. Mite drop the oil in a couple months and check the magnet and filter again. The truck doesn't get driven all that much in the colder month's. It's our pontoon, and 28' enclosed trailer hauler. Thanks again guy's for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.

What you saw was about normal on the magnet. Just a little clutch dust. Probably be fine for a while.

Back