Nozzle flow rates, and multi hole nozzles

1911 guy

Trunk Monkey
Im looking for more info on nozzle flow rates. Im looking at getting a set done by EH. Im wanting to try and achieve a HP rating of 150. Also Does any one on the market produce a 6 or 8 hole nozzle for the common rail? I believe having more smaller holes would keep the spray inside the bowl and spread the heat more evenly across the piston crown.In Every picture ive seen of a melted CR piston you can clearly see that the piston starts to melt in the five points where the fuel is sprayed. Correct me if im wrong. Thanks.

more smaller holes will be weaker. and at 30,000 psi or whatever a CR runs the tip will get blown off.

less then 75% enlarged(mine 160 ish)
triton's 85% are around to caculated 180's

I believe having more smaller holes would keep the spray inside the bowl and spread the heat more evenly across the piston crown.

You mean dome not crown, keeping the pattern in the bowl on the 325hp CR is not the issue, this has been discussed.

8 hole common rail nozzles?

'03-04 nozzles and 6.7L nozzles are both 8-hole.

Last edited:
Having smaller holes has nothing to do with keeping spray inside the bowl, plenty of 8 hole injectors taking tons of abuse

I just happen to have a set of 150 extrude hone nozzles handy. They are 8 hole (o3-04). Would you like to try them? Ive never used an eight hole in an 04.5 or newer. I don't think I would either.

^^^i did by accident, i knew something was up and pulled them immediately

i got them from skynyrd and he ran them in two trucks...never knew

smokes like crazy and rattles

I just happen to have a set of 150 extrude hone nozzles handy. They are 8 hole (o3-04). Would you like to try them? Ive never used an eight hole in an 04.5 or newer. I don't think I would either.

just trying to learn, are the spray angles different or something?

so If i understand corectly an 8 hole for the 325 engine exists? If so where could one find them? I understand that by making holes larger the spray angle is not changed. What i can see on large holes is the spray diameter growing or spreading much like a shotgun blast, so much that fuel begins to not completely hit the bowl. From what im hearing F1 is working on an EDM nozzle where the holes arent round but more of an elongated oval. I see this as an attempt at getting a larger amount of fuel in the bowl without it making its way outside. So which brings me back to the 8 hole. more holes smaller diameter flowing same amount of fuel spread over larger surface area seems like it would reduce piston failure.

"Its like a finger pointing it's way to the moon, concentrate on the finger you will miss all that heavenly glory"

Last edited:
You will one day grasshopper, or just go rent a copy of Enter the Dragon :hehe:

shoot me a price on those tips

so If i understand corectly an 8 hole for the 325 engine exists? If so where could one find them? I understand that by making holes larger the spray angle is not changed. What i can see on large holes is the spray diameter growing or spreading much like a shotgun blast, so much that fuel begins to not completely hit the bowl. From what im hearing F1 is working on an EDM nozzle where the holes arent round but more of an elongated oval. I see this as an attempt at getting a larger amount of fuel in the bowl without it making its way outside. So which brings me back to the 8 hole. more holes smaller diameter flowing same amount of fuel spread over larger surface area seems like it would reduce piston failure.

Industrial Injection makes a 10 hole nozzle for 04.5+ engines too.