Nwpadmax

503' would be one of the worst set sleds I have ever seen.
Guess what the sled speed was? Mat's was like 13.5mph. The track is gravel. Basicly marbels. Wet ones a that day. It makes it hard to get going but it also makes it hard to get stopped once your rolling. The box hit before 300' but it was not of much use on marbels.

I was pretty sure that Mat was going to go long. I was worried because some of the early hooks where hurting motors. Running out of water. I asked Mat if I should top off his water tank before he pulled. I not sure he realized why I asked that till after. Good thing his water tank is large.

It just wouldn't quit!

It was a freak set of events, no doubt, but I sure learned a lot last night.

At 400' the flagger is running backwards, laughing, and the only reason that I stopped was that the sled operator laid on the air horns! I went to the midpoint between turns one and two.

Un-fricken-believable.

The story of that run belongs to Gene Mohney, a.k.a, Sledpuller.

The background is, I have sucked at that track, bad. Real bad. Embarrassing bad. There is embarrassing video to prove it shot by TrailerPro (I still wanna kill him for it :D).

Sleddy comes up to me, says "I'm tellin' ya, you get that thing in 4th gear, there's no way he can stop you, you are going to win this pull."

I said "stop f-ing with me, dammit. This is gonna suck, just like last year."

I did exactly as he said, nailed it HARD off the line, smacked the rev limiter in both 2nd and 3rd, and then stabbed 'er up into 4th and prayed hard that she would stay lit. It bogged just a hair, and then just took off.

Again, un-fricken believable.

I owe Gene at least a case of beer for that one. :D

Mat has not mentioned that only hours before he took second a FPP Prostreet in Cortland, Ohio. Calvin (Wanabesleduller) won Cortland! Calvin was third IIRC at Stoneboro.:woohoo:

Its called, "HYDROPLANE".

The first truck had an awesome hook, and went 235. We lightened a TOUCH, and Bobby went down town.
Now they are both broke, and we are basically half way through the class.

I looked back, Figured Calvin and Cooper were the only ones that had a shot at it,(I was right), it was raining again, and I said RUN IT.

The call was correct under the circumstances.

Cooper,were you running BFG Ats? Nope

Oh, as far as my pulling/driving advice, I tell EVERYONE on every track, every sled, to go wide open, never lift. It makes for a better show!!!!!:evil:evil:evil

Oh yeah Big Thanks to Clavin for Dinner!
Shuting down kings was a blast!

I had about as much fun yesterday as I could have with out my truck! Not that my truck has been much fun this year.:doh:

Yes they where spraying water.
That was not the 2.8" class. Mat and others bumped up because they did not want to pull the water.

Has anyone ever seen a truck sledpulling with it's windshield wipers running?

It was raining pretty good during that pull. Good thing too, as I assume that is what got Trailerpro onto the other side of the track under the roof of the grandstand....with a view of the turn...

wow, not a very good sled or track it looks like from watching the vid, you rarely see people go past 300' on the sleds we have here, if the weight box hits the end, and your still moving that good, more waits and regear the sled.

wow, not a very good sled or track it looks like from watching the vid, you rarely see people go past 300' on the sleds we have here, if the weight box hits the end, and your still moving that good, more waits and regear the sled.

you got to remeber thats a gravel track, the pan had nothing to stick to, Sleddy said it was hydroplaning

Did anyone who's bashing read the part about the mud/hydroplaning? I can guarantee you that had as much to do with the long distances as anything. Not taking anything away from any of the pullers, but when the rain came down, the track conditions changed. It made it very exciting for the spectators (the long pulls) but I'm pretty certain that the outcome would have been different had the track stayed dry. Not a sled issue, or a track issue, but a weather issue. Matt wasn't the only truck over 400', but he was the only one over 500'.

Look everyone, like I said before, it obviously was an odd combination of events that lead to such a thing. This is not the kind of thing Gene is shooting for on a regular basis, so let's not throw him or NADM under the bus. Under the circumstances, he had to make a decision on the fly and he did. Call it what you will, but someone has to make the call, and Gene never flinches.

Usually it seems like I end up on the bad end of those freak deals, but not this time. You guys who pull regularly all know that once in a while things go goofy and end up with totally unexpected results.

I admit in the past I have been whiny and bytchy about sleds and tracks and whatnot, and this year I made the promise to shut the heck up and just go pull, and take the cards as they fall no matter what the track or sled is. I listened to you, Dale Bennett (Pops)!

This is supposed to be fun, eh? I tell ya, everyone who was there will remember that run for a LONG time.

I'm still chuckling about it!

I admit in the past I have been whiny and bytchy about sleds and tracks and whatnot, and this year I made the promise to shut the heck up and just go pull, and take the cards as they fall no matter what the track or sled is. I listened to you, Dale Bennett (Pops)!

!

I just love that old geezer!! THANKS POPS!! You are a blessing to this sport. Would you care to make motivational speeches at future NADM events?

That old sled will make you leave teeth marks in the steering wheel if they want on clay! Don't knock it when the conditions are like that, anything can happen...

Mat, where you trying to just take that thing back to Portersville or with you?

Congrats on the W!

Most of the time everyone goes home pissin and moaning when a pull gets canceld due to weather.Gene and the NADM staff made the call to "let em eat".I think it was a ballsy call and put on one hell of a show.The only thing that let them trucks run to 500' was puller pride---and it made for a great show.You guys that ran them trucks out that far ROCKED.When I seen the old "sledpuller" round the turn it felt like the old days.With what the staff had to work with I thought it kicked ass.

I just love that old geezer!! THANKS POPS!! You are a blessing to this sport. Would you care to make motivational speeches at future NADM events?

:umno: Keep your distance buddy! LOLLOL

I would like to speak at a "Sleddy Roast", but so would everyone else. :evil

:umno: Keep your distance buddy! LOLLOL

I would like to speak at a "Sleddy Roast", but so would everyone else. :evil

You know someday it's gonna happen and the speaker list is gonna be a mile long :hehe:

There'll probably be a qualification round just to get in LOL

Most of the time everyone goes home pissin and moaning when a pull gets canceld due to weather.Gene and the NADM staff made the call to "let em eat".I think it was a ballsy call and put on one hell of a show.The only thing that let them trucks run to 500' was puller pride---and it made for a great show.You guys that ran them trucks out that far ROCKED.When I seen the old "sledpuller" round the turn it felt like the old days.With what the staff had to work with I thought it kicked ass.

X2! Amen!

The only thing a puller will stop for, is a red flag, or spinny things no go no more.