Off road only fuel -- Harmful?

Snake

40 lug nuts
I searched but didn't come up with anything......

Disregarding all the legal issues with off road only fuel (dyed red), is it something that's going to damage a 6.0 ? I've had some discussion with a few "knowledgeable" people and we can't agree on the safety of running this fuel in the 6.0L.

I searched a few other places and the only thing I found was that some people believe it may cause the fuel pump to fail.

So I'm turning to the place where I know I can get the best, most accurate information -- competitiondiesel.com.

:thankyou2:

--Snake

It's fine to run, off road vehicles have the same motors give or take, If I was smart enough i would invent a Dye to netrualize the red in offroad fuel. Sure would be cheaper!

It sure is tempting to put fuel out of my rear tank into the truck tank and I will put a little in there if I am empty and far from a station. Just don't get caught! It ain't gonna hurt nothing but your pocket book.

As far as I know, the only difference is the color. Red=tax free

Ya. $2.65 a gallon is tax free? Bastards. My tractor is empty too... :bang

I've heard it does harm to the dmax. Source is a friend that was a GM mastertech. Don't know about the 6.0 though.

Snake, it will not hurt your fuel system. But please keep in mind that it does rob our government of much needed funding if you chose to run it on the highway. Not to mention the needless harm to the trees and the birds and all the fish and stuff :)

6.0kingranch said:
I've heard it does harm to the dmax. Source is a friend that was a GM mastertech. Don't know about the 6.0 though.

How can it? Its the same fuel, just a different color

It will do no harm. It is 100% the exact same fuel you buy at the pump, only it is red. SO unless Dye somehow hurts the dmax, and lets face it, it is a frail weak little motor, LOL then its fine.

6.0kingranch said:

He prob got that from GM diesel School, im sure thats what all the Dealers tell ya, so you dont run it. So im gonna call :bs: on the dealers

I have 220k on my truck. 80% of which were run with mods in my sig. I have maybe run 20 tanks of regular diesel, the rest has all been dyed fuel. no problems whatsoever.
PS it is legal to run marked fuel in farm registered vehicles in Alberta.

rush said:
PS it is legal to run marked fuel in farm registered vehicles in Alberta.

I wish that were true in the states. My farm tag don't mean nothin'...except a cheaper tag and I can write milage off for farm use! :bang

I once saw a supplier delivering fuel at our local Co-Op......two tanks, both unloaded from the same nozzle to eack tank.

Then the driver poured in about a gallon of dye into one tank and it was labeled tax-free.......SAME EXACT STUFF.

I had a buddy who owned an IDI 7.3L....(I KNOW DIFFERENT ANIMAL).....who ONLY ran red fuel for over 200,000 miles....sold the truck with red in the tank.

Other than the DOTD state police we have here, I'd run red in a minute but the penatilty here in Louisiana is $100 per gallon ....of CAPACITY....that = $4000 for me!!!!!

Ill be the asshole here. Not all red is the same. There is still some supplies of high sulphur fuel out there. And the new formulation CJ-4 oil should not be run with anything but ULSD unless you want to cut your drain interval in half. So unless the oil company has teamed up with the Engine company and there is a giant ****ing conspiracy, then do whatever you want. Water vapor in the combustion process plus sulphur in the fuel = something acidic in your oil. I love to pump acid through my injectors.

From what Ive herd, switching back and forth between fuels of different sulfur content will make the rubber seals expand and contract causing leaks. If you are getting fuel from a place where its the same, then no problem. If you are still finding some of the good old high sulfur fuel, then it could cause leaks.

there is no regular sulfer diesel any more here in idaho and now there is only ulsd wich sucks but the difference between red and regular diesel is about .50 here in idaho

Awesome info, and exactly what I had hoped for. The station in question has regular and off road diesel....the regular stuff being ULSD (15 ppm) and the off road at 500 ppm. If I remember correctly, the ULSD was going for $2.89/gal and the off road was $2.49/gal.

Not sure how true it is, but I've heard states throwing out fines as high as $500/gal for the capacity of the tank. So a 30 gal tank would land you a $15k fine! I dunno, but when I think about saving $12 per tank filling up versus a $15k fine, I'll pay the extra $12.

I'd also heard about the issues of switching back and forth between "regular" #2 and ULSD causing leaks, but wasn't sure how much weight to put behind that. Again, is it worth it for $12/tank?

Thanks for the info all -- I think I just might have won a tank of fuel. :hehe: (The ULSD kind, of course)

--Snake

i have an 05 and 07 6.0 and a 99 7.3 and run red fuel all of the time. i have over 30 Cat machines, if its good enough for million dollar machines i cant see it being a problem for regular trucks. the only problem i could see is the DOT check points. you get caught doing that you'll be sorry.