off the wall experiment

Lostnwalmart

Ok so I am getting annoyed with how my gt5523 is only making 25 lbs of boost. But I am a cheap a$$ so spending $600 on a 1.0 housing is not going to happen :hehe: The housing I currently have is a divided 1.18 housing with an internal waste gate. So with all this talk about spool flanges making turbos go vroom faster I have decided to make a non variable cheap :shake: version.

I will be blocking off the volute (official name?) closer to the exducer of the turbine which is a 111/100mm I believe and flows like the dickens. This will make my housing roughly a .6, Im well aware of the fact that this will probably choke the turbo more than Homer and Bart. Ill see how much das boost is made then if not where desired Ill drill a 3/8ths hole in the block off, check boost, then go 1/2 inch check boost then add another 3/8 hole and so on. The waste gate will be blocked off on this and if boost gets into the uncomfortable range ill do this crazy thing called let off the throttle. I am going for 35-40 psi wot. Once and if I achieve this the gate will be put back on for when I feel like spraying.

I have no idea If this will work how I want it to but figured what the heck may as well try it out. It will take me a few weeks to complete the test due to weather traffic and general lazyness but the initial port blocking will be happening tonight/afternoon, but testing would result in my death with the wet roads out. If all else fails Ill chop of the t6 flange and weld a new one on with no blockage and get a 6 billion dollar housing. I remember hearing about some sled pullers who have done something similar for large singles but have never heard of anyone doing this for twins. If you have any suggestions, ideas, insults, flattery, sexy pictures, funny jokes, idle banter throw em out there. Ill keep you all updated as well as I can. :Cheer:

Last edited:
Well after talking to some people smarter than me, I will be diverting flow to the exducer side with a 3/8 hole to start with. If this rum and coke doesn't refill itself then it should be completed tonight.

Mmm rum & coke, mine tastes great.
Definitely not gettin any work done.

i seen somewhere on one of these forums of someone selling, i think it was an s480 they were running as a single. that that welded a diverter into one side of the t6 flange.

Try 40 creek.. It's a Canadian whiskey, but way smoother than any Crown product

Give it hell Clipford!

My GTX55 has a 1.0 housing and I have it gated for 45psi. I think I'll open it up a little

Cliff I've done this a time or two with other chargers. You got the right idea.

Last edited:
I am skeptical it will work, I think it will help in spoolup, but it takes X HP to drive the compressor.

Thats what I thought you ment but wasnt sure drive on the secondary can range from 80 with the 50mm and the internal, to over 100 with just the internal gate.

I am skeptical it will work, I think it will help in spoolup, but it takes X HP to drive the compressor.

Ehh ill find out on the test drive tomorrow LOL. If it doesn't work then life goes on.

Last edited:
Didn't realize you had an external gate. I bet you will see an increase from it, unless you don't have the fuel to drive it. Even then, you will probably see a slight increase.

Fwiw, I saw what looked to be a factory "spool valve" on the Mercedes engine in our western star. May be able to find and score one from a wrecking yard?

Didn't realize you had an external gate. I bet you will see an increase from it, unless you don't have the fuel to drive it. Even then, you will probably see a slight increase.

Fwiw, I saw what looked to be a factory "spool valve" on the Mercedes engine in our western star. May be able to find and score one from a wrecking yard?

I should have close to 500cc's with 5x20's. Truck runs great but I can leave it alone for more than a week or two LOL