oil change?

Kerry Warren

I need to do an oil change on my 03 F-350 6.0L does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what filter and oil to use

go to wally world get a motorcraft filter and some rotella T6. tried the amsoil saw no real difference than with t6.

We've had great luck using Motorcraft filters and Schaeffer's 9000 5w40

Motorcraft filters or International filters. I use Valvoline extreme blue full syn 5w40. My truck likes. Cat oils treated the truck well also.

i appreciate the help from everyone i got another question alot of guys i talk to say that rotella made their injectors knock has anyone else had this problem?

Some swear by rotella some swear at it. I used it in my old 7.3 with no problems. My 6.0 has had motorcraft oil, cat 15w40, plus 50 (deere oil) will never use that sh!t again in my truck it costme an inject in 500 miles after oil change and started rougher than hell. royal purple and valvoline. By far valvoline extreme blue 5w40 my truck loves.

I think you'll be fine though with any full syn oil.I would drop down to 5w40 though. You'll enjoy the easier starts in the winter. JMHO

I've had great luck running rotella 15w40, and 5w40 in winter. I just switched to synthetic for this road trip since ill be hauling the whole way, I hope it wasn't a bad idea.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

rotella 15w 40 has never let me down. I hear they are the only ones that make 15w 40 that still put zinc in there oil? Or one of the few ones that do?

If rotella 15w40 had enough zinc in it my vw tdi would not have ate a camshaft 5 years ago. Run nothing but 5w40 in your 6.0 if you want it to treat you well. Any brand 5w40 is better than rotella 15w40.

I always add zinc to every oil change anyways, regardless of oil used. Cheap insurance.

Lreiff, if you're the only one to have that problem (that's spoke up), how do you know it was the rotella? Lots of people use it with no issue.

I'm by far the only one with that issue. Most chalk up wear to poor manufacturing or expected life span. I'm sure most 15w40 oil will cause cam wear in a VW tdi and injector issues in a 6.0 powerstroke. Rotella happens to be one of the worse.

I'm by far the only one with that issue. Most chalk up wear to poor manufacturing or expected life span. I'm sure most 15w40 oil will cause cam wear in a VW tdi and injector issues in a 6.0 powerstroke. Rotella happens to be one of the worse.

Oh ok. Well who makes a better oil? I've never heard anything bad about it. But other big names like royal purple and amsoil I hear stuff all the time. I did try valvoline once, never really heard anything bad about it either.

Oh ok. Well who makes a better oil? I've never heard anything bad about it. But other big names like royal purple and amsoil I hear stuff all the time. I did try valvoline once, never really heard anything bad about it either.

What have you heard of Amsoil, I use it for everything. Works well

Motorcraft/international/racor filters only!!!

I like Valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40 oil.

Last edited:
I've been using RUBIA 7900 SYN 5W-40 from Total Lubricants. It has a lower cold pour point than T6 and Premium Blue, otherwise very similar. Results have been great.

isn't 15w40 a bit heavy for a VW anyways?
myself I use petro-can, Duron 5W40 synthetic(Canadian brand) year round exclusively. no issues, starts great summer or winter

Esso XD-3 0w40 its a group IV full synthetic. Good stuff. I use it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

So whats the difference between 15w40 and 5w40? i just bought Vavoline Blue 15w40 and am doing my oil chance in the morning before i drive from San Diego to Seattle