Oil in exhaust ports and manifold help!

STROKETHISF350

Just finished my rebuild a few weeks ago and have been data logging and trying to get the tuning right. I blew the rear freeze plug out last week while logging so I replaced it with a block off Plate and today I was refilling with antifreeze when I smelled burning oil and noticed some oil coming out where the exhaust manifold meets the turbo. After screaming a bit I pulled the turbo and manifold off and fount a pretty good amount of oil in what seemed to be most of the exhaust ports on the head.
The turbo is not the culprit and I don't believe I have an issue with the rings because there is almost no blow by. The head was rebuilt 4K miles ago with new valve guides, seals and seats any help is extremely appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valve seals are likely the problem. I had a couple bads one a while back and had the same thing happen. They were cheap ones from O'Reilly, so I replaced with Cummins parts.

Valve seals are likely the problem. I had a couple bads one a while back and had the same thing happen. They were cheap ones from O'Reilly, so I replaced with Cummins parts.

Can they really leak that bad, And so sudden ?

I'm leaning towards that too. My machinist tried to telling they couldn't leak that bad and that it was probly cracked rings but I just don't see how that's possibly because there's raw oil throughout the chambers and manifold. Also just a hint of blow by thats barely noticeable which makes sense the engine isn't even broken in yet, I think I might have 20 miles on it

If it's the push on type seals exhaust and intake pressure can push them up off the guides. On the other hand, I've put plenty of engines together with no seals at all and have never had oil leak as bad as you're describing.

If it's the push on type seals exhaust and intake pressure can push them up off the guides. On the other hand, I've put plenty of engines together with no seals at all and have never had oil leak as bad as you're describing.

What about a messed up guide, Would that push a good bit of oil? Also the oils seemed pretty much confined to the manifold area there was almost none it the turbo

Rings need to be set hook up to the biggest trailer you can find and pull it like you stole it!!

Rings need to be set hook up to the biggest trailer you can find and pull it like you stole it!!

I'm leaning toward this. Engine builder just told me the same thing about breaking in one for a customer. Light or no load will have blowby for a long time.

I understand i need to set the rings but there's no way this much oil could be pushing past the rings, I'd think there would be a lot more smoke from the tail pipe if it was being burned in the cylinder. And also I'd assume I would see some blow by as a result

I assume you pulled the valve cover and just did a visual on the seals?! Post a pic! One wet cylinder would be seal all would be turbo or rings! There's only two ways for oil to get into the exhaust ............Normally!

I assume you pulled the valve cover and just did a visual on the seals?! Post a pic! One wet cylinder would be seal all would be turbo or rings! There's only two ways for oil to get into the exhaust ............Normally!

I have not pulled that valve cover yet I'll be doing that today

I pulled down a 2005 engine the other day that reportedly "had a miss" and for the life of me, I couldn't find anything wrong with the pistons or the cylinders.
It was dead obvious that the engine has been gone through, but every piston had oil ash on the tops.

I'm thinking the head had bad guides and they just dropped it back on the fresh short block.

Mark.

I pulled down a 2005 engine the other day that reportedly "had a miss" and for the life of me, I couldn't find anything wrong with the pistons or the cylinders.
It was dead obvious that the engine has been gone through, but every piston had oil ash on the tops.

I'm thinking the head had bad guides and they just dropped it back on the fresh short block.

Mark.

Was there any obvious sign of oil in the chambers or manifold?

Oil ASH on the pistons & head, as well as the ports.
The ports were slightly damp.

Wish I still had it here, but the head went to Ohio and the short block is in Michigan.

Mark.

Last edited:
https://vimeo.com/163166603 started without manifold and there were no signs of new oil any where I also checked the valve seals the best I could and didn't see anything. I'm not sure where to go with this one

e192de67d43c3d8b308ddf911684cf39.jpg
almost no oil visible in the exhaust housing. What's in there seems to be what blew out of the manifold at an idle