Oil Pressure Reading

How did you identify the problem but have a best and worst case scenario?

Pulled the oil filter and cranked the truck. a few times. It never filled the oil filter housing, while pushing down on the bypass thing, and it started to fill and work the HPOP but then it would quickly "start" and then shut off. It did that about three times and then nothing. So the LPOP is not doing its job and its not doing it because its either taken a dump or something is blocking the flow of oil back to the HPOP. The injector cup sanario would be the worst being that the pan would need to be dropped and the valve cover pulled ..etc etc until the blockage is located. I'm going off of whati recall from my buddy, since he was the one doing all of the work. I was drinking beer and trying to figure out how much this would all end up costing me.

I guess the problem is not "identified" in the sense of its 100% nailed down. The second case problem with the injectors wont be able to be determined until the front cover is off.

Did you even bother to take the damnper off the front and remove the 5 bolts that cover the oil gear set? If you have a high pressure leak it can use up all the low pressure oil...

Not yet, we were going to do that on sunday. We gotta tear all the coolers out, I assume. If were going down that far I want to make sure I have all the parts handy for fixing. I can always return them If i dont need them.

Just pull the Fan shrouds and get it from the bottom. When the gears go, they usually pop the front cover bad enough that it leaks. If you have a scan tool. Crank the engine and look at IPR duty cycle. If its going to 85% and you aren't getting 3.5MPA on ICP or 500 PSI however the thing is set to show you pressure. You will probably be installing a high pressure pump.

Mooring Products truck is getting one now. We are putting an 04 pump into his 03.

Well I know the scan tool was present tonight, however, I can probably get him to bring it back over when we tear the thing apart.

Ok.. well the LPOP gears and housing are trashed. We pulled the valve covers to see if any injector cups had decided to let go, and everything was fine and dandy... So the problem now is where did this metal come from.. and where did it go? Were getting a bore-o-scope to check out some oil passage ways.. but if they check out the only other place to look is in the pan.. which is alot of work. Were going to check it out with the scope and if anything is fishy the pan will be just be dropped and flush as much as we can out, and then put it back together. The good news is my injectors are all together and my buddy is helping me out with the labor. On the flip side my engine is torn down pretty far.. and i'm thinking of just adding some injectors and other things now, while its all part.

Last edited:
Yeah I got some pictures, I'll throw them up tonight. I gotta take them with my good digital camera to see the details.

Pictures of the Front Cover and the LPOP Gear(s)

007.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

Ooooo... Why am I thinking one of your roller lifters let go, and the needles are down in the pan. I remember reading a diagnostic once, and the oil pump gear results were really similar. I don't know what the procedure for checking the push rods is, but I'd look that up. Based on the small marks on there, whatever it was, was small, and hard... just like the stuff roller bearings are made out of...

Other than that, I'd say those gears aren't that bad. Well, let's say it this way, I've seen worse looking oil pump gears.

Good luck brother.

The valve covers are pulled...I drained the oil into a filter and then into a pan. I can see the entire valve train. THe pan is getting dropped tommarrow and were using a borescope to see whats going on in the passageways. I'll check the pushrods out tommarrow.

Well the pan was droped and we found the remainder of what appers to be a washer of sorts. Its machined, and looks as if it was explosed to high heat and speed(OD is blueish colored and appears to have a OD of 1"). Its only half of it.. but all of the oil passage ways checked out and there isnt any blockage anywhere. Upper oil pan is gone too, just to see if a crank spacer was out of it but my crank(from the dial gauge) is still within factory spec. The only thing we can think of is the HPOP.. but no one can recall(not even the Ford FSE we called) if the 03 pump bolts on to the gear. Tommarow were looking at a new off the shelf pump form ford, so an answer will be formed then. However.. if there is no bolt and washer there.. then we have no idea where it came from.

Solved.

Well it took 4 powerstroke dealership mechanics one Ford Field service engineer and the head powerstroke rep, plus the fine engineers at International to come up with what the washer was. It was a thrust washer from the trubo. About 6 months ago my trubo blew itsself apart. This is the aftermath. It somehow made it from the drain tube of the trubo to the pans and then some parts got sucked up and sent through the LPOP. The end result is what I have posted above. Long story short the truck is getting put back together and should be ont he road by sunday or monday.

Nice. Oh and BTW. If you are going to change the hpop. 04s will work just fine in 03s. The 04s get a little more flow to cope with the 30cu in oil rails over the 15cu in.

My HPOP is in good shape, we thought it might have been a part of it, hower we were incorrect.

Nice. Oh and BTW. If you are going to change the hpop. 04s will work just fine in 03s. The 04s get a little more flow to cope with the 30cu in oil rails over the 15cu in.

that's good to know...you really know your stuff...

thanks Doug..