ok p pump guys, i have questions

right now timing is set at 19,(easily set to 26 after the next retorque) pop off was set at 280 and i let a friend run them and they worked fine in his truck not long ago.

No, you need a stiffer spring.

How would a stiffer spring help pre boost/off idle? the arm hasn't begun to move yet. And I'm running a governor spring, not sure what pressure it is. With the starwheel cranked pretty decent. Once boost hits and the afc starts to move, it clears up pretty well thanks to the starwheel adjustments, its the off idle smoke thats killing me.

Sorry to thread jack adam, I thought our cases were kind of similar.

Last edited:
How would a stiffer spring help pre boost/off idle? the arm hasn't begun to move yet. And I'm running a governor spring, not sure what pressure it is. With the starwheel cranked pretty decent. Once boost hits and the afc starts to move, it clears up pretty well thanks to the starwheel adjustments, its the off idle smoke thats killing me.

Sorry to thread jack adam, I thought our cases were kind of similar.
If the star wheel is cranked enough to where there is no play/slack , then its your dvs causing the pre boost smoke.

Lots of them. I was actually researching them last night due to changing wisdom on AFC placement. AFC full forward isnt working for me anymore with the latest combo.

I have a good stock cam I just pulled out of my race pickup, it's yours if you want to use it for trouble shooting.

thank you guys, i dont think its the cam..if anything the cam is slightly agresive to be chasing the pistons down and touching with the standard head gasket..which in my opinion should also be helping the bottom end.. im just going to go to smaller chargers to hopefully make it work for this truck.. if not im going to get a stock motor, cam it and put it in this truck so i can drive it like it was built to.

Last edited:
what do you guys think about the injectors maybe being to low? the head was decked .060 and i have the thin washers in.. would this make the bottom end smoke like i have?

Are you thinking that the injectors being too low in the bowel will cause inadequate swirl making it smoke? Geez, I don't know.

Last edited:
Your not gonna get rid of low end smoke with the 66.

Going from 181 to 191 greatly increased my low end smoke, I used to blame it on my 66 now I have the 62 and its better but still there. I have an in-cab preboost screw and I have been messing with it a bit but its still either smoke and its peppy or no smoke and it wont get out of its own way. I'm beginning to believe its the 191s, i want to try some 022 or 024 or "042".

I have no clue if any of that applies to your 12mm pump :confused:

well nothing to speak of, i put 181's in and its still almost to smokey to drive. anything more than 5psi boost and its a smoke show that im not proud to host. ive only got up to about 35 psi and its still as smokey as ever.. i have every douche bags dream smoke switch.. its my skinny peddle on the right LOL
im going to dyno it maybe tomorrow and see if it even makes power.