P-7100 governor arm

i know, i know, you give me the world and I ask for the moon blah blah blah... Inquiring minds need to know :pop: LOL

Yes, so if you are running plate less, with a gutted AFC, governor arm adjustment screw taken out, should you not be able to take the rack adjustment screw out as well seeing as how you are not running a plate so it wouldnt do anything anyway?

Jim, I also assume when you say flat plate profile the 100 plate would fall into that category as well seeing as how there really is no profile except for the nose at the bottom?

Also, how much adjustment on this screw does it take to make a noticeable, or any, difference in performance/driveability/daily operation?

Depends, how much nose is there and do you want to use it, if you set it jsut above nose to nose (Gov arm nose to plate nose) they you will have a tad softer bottom end prior to RPM but this is all based on how your AFC is setup.....AFC placement, Plate, Gov arm, preboost fuel, Gov springs, AFC spring and star wheel adjustment all play a factor.

If it were optimal to run without a plate and AFC arm don't you think I would do it.

Jim

ok, so say your running a 100plate at about 50%, 3K GSK, AFC full forward, starwheel at about 30%back, stock AFC spring, gov arm adjusted to just barely touch the bottom of the nose.

Which way would you go with the rack adjustment screw? Would this have any effect on idle quality? what about throughout the whole power band?

Spencer

Note: DO NOT TOUCH the rack adjustment screw, this is only performed on a pump stand.

As for the adjustments do a search on the site, there is more info there than I can type in an hour.

Jim

Jim im not much familuar with your truck, is it a daily driver, pull truck, or do you drag it? Im pretty new to some of the tuning but having good luck so far with going fast, im just wondering if you advise is to the street crowd and if it hold true to the idle or wide open crowd like myself? I removed the afc foot for this weekend to have more avail. fuel on the bottom mainly so i was nt so nervous about the WOT switch i have on the juice, it seemed to work great ive just heard to many nitrous backfires on gas motors and read of them on these sites from diesel guys. Do you still think theres more to be had running a tuned afc for drag racing using juice out of the hole? Very curious to your answer on this. I suppose i still have more in it as well in the plate, i ground a 100 from the stocker and have it full forward, is there any fuel to be gained if i removed the plate all together in my situation, remeber drag strip 'only'? Thanks Ryan

I am still trying to grasp how the governor works. What causes the governor lever to travel up the plate? I am assuming it does so which is the reason for plate profiles.

With the governor lever adjustment screw removed will the governor lever still catch the AFC foot? What keeps the lever from riding up higher than the afc foot?

Last thing, how much does the governor lever move up and down?

Thanks

Jim im not much familuar with your truck, is it a daily driver, pull truck, or do you drag it?

Daily drive it, currently about 350-400 miles a week, or since the fall of 01' just short of 120K.

Jim

Thanks Smokem for the plate info. So if i removed the lip on the bottom that i left to make it a 100, then it would be a true 0 and this along with the 2095 that i have finally installed, i should be getting full travel- same as if the plate were removed correct? And the washer and foot grinding mods wont apply here for rack limit because currently the foot is removed, after the lip is removed for the plate do you think removing the gov. adj. screw would be a good idea for my situation or just leave it? This truck and engine will never see street duty again, its just a weekend track toy. Thanks

Smokem any more info on this, this was a very interesting topic that i had never heard of before! Thanks

i accidentally messed with the rack adjustment screw. as it sits its hard to start and have to keep idle up for about 5 sec before it will run on it own. so far i have been tweeking it to get better but sure would like to understand how it works and what it really does. at first it fired right up but when i touched the petal it just run the rpms up itself. i think im getting close to where it used to be.