Pictures of aftermarket trans cooler set ups?

Kind of hard to get a good picture but I have mine between the fuel tank and transfer case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
527035_446148512074075_369451751_n.jpg

524392_446148525407407_1038576610_n.jpg

599317_446148505407409_933351903_n.jpg

Its not the best picture but you get the idea. looks like overkill to most people, but a drag trans with high line pressure that gets driven on the street can get high fluids temps very quick on a hot day when your flogging on it. I have dual stacked coolers with dual fans on a switch and on a 90* day ive not seen over 165*fluid temps. stall is near stock and engine is around 650hp. a manual lockup switch in OD really helps fluid temps drop on 60+mph cruise. hope this helps

Attachments

• trans fans.jpg
    trans fans.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
Its not the best picture but you get the idea. looks like overkill to most people, but a drag trans with high line pressure that gets driven on the street can get high fluids temps very quick on a hot day when your flogging on it. I have dual stacked coolers with dual fans on a switch and on a 90* day ive not seen over 165*fluid temps. stall is near stock and engine is around 650hp. a manual lockup switch in OD really helps fluid temps drop on 60+mph cruise. hope this helps

Care to share p/n's? That is a slick setup.

Hey at least with the Beiber avitar, when you see me at the event you're like hey I remember that guy from Comp D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371514087.573397.jpg
Well it came ,now all that's left is to mount it , re tweak my hot pipe , bump timing ,set valve lash , oil and coolant , install second boost gauge , then hopefully It'll be done lol

Turns out you can fit two with a couple inches to spare under the front of the bed.

c3f5b0cf-2eec-45ed-b86a-2ba6ff2df451_zps7ca1df1c.jpg

What are the tube diameters of these derales? Not the an/fitting size, the actual tube size? The a-hole that assembled my motor originally did away with all the stock stuff and mounted a derale w/fan in the bed bulkhead. It sucked.., removed fan and mounted it between intercooler and radiator. It made no difference, didnt figure it would but my trans builder recommended it. We then went to some massive cooler with -8 fittings and i think 5/8 dia tubes, with stainless lines. Works a bit better but still not happy.
Perhaps i'll double some up and try them somewhere else.
Has anyone tried one of those heat sink type coolers in-line along with a cooler?

Sent from my fphone

Last edited:
I'm not actually sure on the tube size fittings are -8 though , I used 26 feet of 1/2" trans hose, and it took five and a half quarts to fill it back up . Oil and hose costs as much as the cooler .

Both of mine are the plate and fin type instead of tube and fin.

Is a plate an fin going to work better than a tube and fin? Anyone one know for sure?

Sent from my fphone

Is a plate an fin going to work better than a tube and fin? Anyone one know for sure?

Sent from my fphone

I'll answer my own Q.
I just called Derale and talked to their engineering. Plate and fin is superior to tube and fin.
He gave me a part number
Said its their most extreme cooler w/fan.

Sent from my fphone

I can't seem to find a heat sink type with 1/2" lines. I wonder how much difference one could see going to the plate type.

Yep, more efficient but you're looking at 700 bucks worth of cooler under the bed on mine. They're the 15870's also.