pictures of rod failures.

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
Any pictures of rod failures, either bends or breaks?

Please post up the specifics of your setup and any dyno numbers etc.
Thanks,

Zach

9? accord, ran out of oil. LOL

2010-09-09163911.jpg

Are you looking for a specific make of engine?

Right - good stock LBZ Duramax rod
Left - bent stock LB7 Duramax rod -- no carnage (thank god), but tweaked all 8 enough to know something was wrong.

580hp/1112tq were the dyno # on that setup. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 100_5621.JPG
    100_5621.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Even before they fail catastrophically they get bent. More like squished and stretched. They get tired.
Rod failures in general are caused by a lot things. From bad maintenance, to oil related issues. No rod is impervious to those failures. I think it would be best to narrow the subject to performance related failures.

I would bet money that there are a bunch of trucks running right now that have a tweaked rod or two.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew2GcydFZcw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew2GcydFZcw[/ame]

LOL

Just be careful building rods. A cheap alternative will be nice but there was a set made for duramaxes that actually ended up failing at lower power levels than stock rods. They were recalled and I'm pretty sure they only claimed one block. There may be some wary customers.

swole and Dockboy, you both have paid the price of admission to this elite club more than you should have had to.

As far as cheap rods, that is not my intent.

I am looking at using a superior alloy with a better shape. I may or may not be able to make it happen, but I really don't want to put another high priced H-beam rod on the market. I may be incorrect, but I think there is a market for a quality piece less than the other ones.

Last edited:
Swole would have to post........Greg's recent tear down was some good data, David just breaks pieces if blocks off ;) Love you bother!

Jim