pictures of rod failures.

Even with a 2WD running bars and shocks there are times when it hooks hard and you know something is going to break, it's only a matter of time when it does.....lesson learned and it has been sitting for 2 years.

Jim

Swole, if I don't miss my guess I'd say you're like me and you reeeaallly like the way a diesel feels pulling down low in the RPM range? (i.e. rolling into the throttle hard in overdrive) ?

100% YES!!!

Jeff gets onto me all the time about it. lol

Sorry for derail Zach! Back on track...

Last edited:
This shipment of fail arrived during commissioning, with a very large bang.

IMG00734-20100120-0810.jpg

and he brought his friend, collateral damage.

IMG00735-20100120-0810.jpg

astross and 153624, what rods are you running?
renopker, I think I would enjoy having a beer with you in spite of the pissing match we had in days past. Looks like you have some really cool projects.

I have been very fortunate to have never had one in my own engine fail. I did have some mechanics take a lunch break half way through torque sequence on a 5.9 24v....... that one was 1 inch from my leg when the rod shot past me.

I also have a piece of JD green cast iron on my desk that hit me in the face when a rod cap came off on one of my first diesel jobs. What a way to start.

Thanks for the pictures. The CR rods have a really good alloy but the outside dimensions could be improved. I am talking to a manufacturer right now to see if we can come up with something. On the Duramax, let me mess with the Cummins first....sorry. It is hard to sell duramax parts that don't have certain names on them. I have a lot of money on the shelf as we speak.

Last edited:
If you could sell a set of decent duramax rods that handle ~800 hp for around $1500 you wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf, 80% of guys who bend duramax rods don't have 3k to spend on rods and aren't looking to make over 700 hp anyways. Just throwing it out there!

AT LEAST 50. if he made a set of rods around 1500 bucks that could take 800 hp people would be all over them. all i want is a set of rods in my motor. nothing fancy

Oh, MTU 16v4000 2250hp full load rated speed commissioning.

:woohoo:

Mine was also 16V4000 at full power (2300KW) in catamaran at 37knots ,the reason was : crew mechanic forgot to tighten the rocker pedestal screw :soap:

Our mechanic was at the same time onboard and he heard the strange noise, then he run to engine room and made emergency stop

One revoultion more and the engine would look same like on jour picture, but at this time we just replace conrod,piston,liner and cylinderhea and now it running strong

Didn't get any pictures, but we blew a 3512 cat last year. One threw a rod windowed the block into the 3512 next to it and blew that engine. Then they both caught fire and burnt to the ground. Bad day lost 5mil in equipment haha.

Didn't get any pictures, but we blew a 3512 cat last year. One threw a rod windowed the block into the 3512 next to it and blew that engine. Then they both caught fire and burnt to the ground. Bad day lost 5mil in equipment haha.
Wow! Was Swole there?:clap:

:clap:

Pics or it didn't happen. :evil