Pinning Valve seats in

mine was pretty loud. I was at the drag strip and pass after pass it got louder. It ran like a top the whole time though, never missed or anything different...except the noise.

Mine has dropped 2.2 mm...or at least one of the valve stems is that much lower than the rest. Hopefully thats not enough to get into a piston.

has anyone tried green loc-tite "retaining compound" it makes it like a press fit. we use it quite a bit at work and it holds pretty darn good it needs to be heated to be removed

It's would seem heating to remove them is the problem here.....

I'm waiting on a call back from dealers, but he just sends them to another machine shop? I've talked to precision here in Waco, he sounds like he is on top of his game. I wish I had just let them do it in the first place.

has anyone tried green loc-tite "retaining compound" it makes it like a press fit. we use it quite a bit at work and it holds pretty darn good it needs to be heated to be removed

I think the heat that the head sees would be plenty to exceed the retaining compound.

Exhaust temps can reach 2000* pretty easy so im sure it would be some where in that area.

I sold a guy a head a while back, he said he was paying $1800 to have the seats pinned with new valves and plenum shaved. Just to get an idea on price. I want to say he was having it done by Schied.

I think most of the money is labor getting the old seats out. I paid 1k for new valves, seats, and valve job.

Popping the valve seats out takes about 3 minutes for 24 of them.

Cutting the head and installing the larger seats takes some time. Popping in new valve seals is pretty quick and easy. Tapping the freeze plug holes for pipe plugs is probably one of the more time consuming tasks.

Popping the valve seats out takes about 3 minutes for 24 of them.

Cutting the head and installing the larger seats takes some time. Popping in new valve seals is pretty quick and easy. Tapping the freeze plug holes for pipe plugs is probably one of the more time consuming tasks.

How do you get them out??

Back