Ported Exhaust Manifold

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
I decided to port my exhaust manifold on the member of ride42. I did this to get better spool up and lower egt's. I haven't had a single complaint spooling this 66 around town or on the freeway but hey, we are always looking for more. So I bought a straight bur and cone bur and a some sanding drums and went to town. This is by far the ugliest port job on this website but it definitely improved spool up. My 66 lights better than my 62/65 or ksb-1. I'd say best estimates are 200rpm sooner spool. Boost is now linear with the throttle. The stacks sound better and the turbo screams like crazy. For the 5 hours I put in to this it was well worth it. Like I said, it's the ugliest port job on the web but it definitely helps.

IMG00187.jpg

IMG00186.jpg

IMG00185.jpg

IMG00183.jpg

IMG00180.jpg

IMG00181.jpg

Dremel? I'm putting a 2nd Gen manifold on my '03 and thought about porting it some as well. So how did it affect EGTs?

Dewalt corded drill. I wish I had some longer burrs and a better sanding drum. I could have done a much better job.

Not sure about egt's yet. Cruising are lower but I'm fighting a fueling problem right now so I can't say for sure on WOT.

I just done the same thing I had a ATS bigfoot with the divider cut out , took it off and put a ported stocker on and I was checking BP between the 2 and they were both the same 60 boost 80 BP

So is it worth the work in Your opinion. I am abot to put a bigger charger on my truck and was thinking about doing it while i was at it.

is there any point to doing it on a stock 2nd gen. manifold?
thanks
JOe

is there any point to doing it on a stock 2nd gen. manifold?
thanks
JOe

Sure, if you don't want to get an aftermarket manifold, any porting you can do to the stock manifold will be helpful!
Gasket matching is definitely a good idea.

It may, over time, crack though, forcing you to get a 3 piece eventually.

I just gasket matched my stock manifold. Actually took alot of metal out of it, only took a few hours to complete, we'll see in a few days if it helps out or not.

Dang it jamie. That's what I get for posting after drinking a 12 pack. LOL

It was definitely worth my time and effort. This 66 lights hard and fast now.

I have no doubts that it won't crack but for now I'm gonna enjoy it. My stock manifold (I ported my spare) has 190k on it and hasn't cracked yet knock on wood.

Sure, if you don't want to get an aftermarket manifold, any porting you can do to the stock manifold will be helpful!
Gasket matching is definitely a good idea.

It may, over time, crack though, forcing you to get a 3 piece eventually that will just crack also.

Finished it for ya Garrett.:rockwoot:

thanks on the info ill def. be doing it this winter. along with a few goodies.

Joe

a DRILL!?!?!?

damn son, get a friggin' grinder... just because your truck is slow doesn't mean your porting has to be slow!

Forgot to add that I did gasket match the manifold on the head side. I got as close as I dared on the turbo side.

The stocker is o.k but do it on an ATS and you'll see even more gains.
I ported the hell out of my ATS years ago and still no cracks.
Northwest Bombers had a nice write-up on it years back.
Come on Tyler, get with the program. :)

I had better luck with my old stocker than this junk HTT manifold I have now. I'm going PDI next.

My PDI manifold has yet to crack.. Usually the "other brands" last about 1 season.

Ive heard MUCH better about the PDI manifold. Still heard of a couple that have cracked though. But on these trucks. Nothing lasts forever. I mean for more than 1 season.:doh:

Back