Porting the new Hamilton 12v head.

ok, denile now! well i am done with u, every second from this point forward, talking to u is a wate of time, i will save my conversation for anyone else on here that is sain.

Before I had my 5600 swapped for a 47rh i talked at length to a very good tranny builder(turbo 400) about running a turbo 400 and a gear vendors in my truck. It was an interesting conversation and the fact that a 47rh is installed now sums up what was said. But carry on.

As usual!

Stock600 (Ryan) had good luck with his 400 in his truck and altered, but even he will tell you how much of a struggle it was to get it right, and reliable. Converters aren't big enough for our RPM

Chris

As usual!

Stock600 (Ryan) had good luck with his 400 in his truck and altered, but even he will tell you how much of a struggle it was to get it right, and reliable. Converters aren't big enough for our RPM

Chris

Imagine the converter issues if it was at full weight.

remember guys, the car weighs 3800 lbs, for some reason it is being forgotten.

How did you confirm removing the same amount of material during your polishing of valves by placing them in a drill and polishing them with sandpaper?

remember guys, the car weighs 3800 lbs, for some reason it is being forgotten.

It'd work but thiers a better option now. I'd prob. tried it if it had been available at the time; look at a full manual- non computer- lock up- 4L80E. Get your strength of the 400 and a OD with out having to use an expensive gear vendors. There are not enough 400's out there behind diesel's racing to have a ton of info, but you will always have bench racers bashing everything that they cant read about month to month at thier mag. stand. Myself and Chad still stand up at the top of the quickest list and will for a long time, both running the TH400; one with a gear vendors and the other without. Both of our setup's 'far' from perfect but get the job done at race weight. Would one of our trannys hold at a big full size 4x4's race trucks weight..... who knows or cares, because why would it ever get done to begin with. I'd think its a viable option in race trim at say... 5k or less lbs. but again I think now that a full manual 4L80 can be put together in a non electronic case and have lock up that it Now makes more since than a 400; but we will see. It's got to be done first though.

Ryan

Last edited:
i've got a 4L80E I want to run behind a 4bt...one day.

It'd work but thiers a better option now. I'd prob. tried it if it had been available at the time; look at a full manual- non computer- lock up- 4L80E. Get your strength of the 400 and a OD with out having to use an expensive gear vendors. There are not enough 400's out there behind diesel's racing to have a ton of info, but you will always have bench racers bashing everything that they cant read about month to month at thier mag. stand. Myself and Chad still stand up at the top of the quickest list and will for a long time, both running the TH400; one with a gear vendors and the other without. Both of our setup's 'far' from perfect but get the job done at race weight. Would one of our trannys hold at a big full size 4x4's race trucks weight..... who knows or cares, because why would it ever get done to begin with. I'd think its a viable option in race trim at say... 5k or less lbs. but again I think now that a full manual 4L80 can be put together in a non electronic case and have lock up that it Now makes more since than a 400; but we will see. It's got to be done first though.

Ryan

Your truck was about 4500lbs wasn't it Ryan?

Depending on how the 47RH holds up in my 1/2 ton, I will be looking for an eventual replacement. Just gathering info for now:D

Chris

You can chalk another truck up to running a th400, I made my maiden voyage this weekend in my mud truck. I can tell you the exact prices, 2800.00 for TH400 with Transbrake, full manual reverse valve body and 13" converter with 22-2400 rpm stall from California Performance Transmissions, 625 for a flexplate, 795 for an adapter plate, 124.00 for a starter.

I used the same shifter I was using on the 47re, so no cost there. I had 3 new driveshafts built with 1410 ujoints for 780.00, np205 transfer case 50.00, np205 rebuild kit 195.00, 1410 yokes for transfercase on both outputs and input and 1410 yokes for both differentials were 475.00

All in all, converting the truck over to a th400 was 4344 for trans, adapter, flex and starter, 200.00 less than just the parts to rebuild the re when I talked to Goerend, Sun Coast and DTT. I'm not counting the yokes, driveshafts and transfercase rebuild kit as I would have needed to rebuild both my driveshafts with beefier yokes and my 241dld needed a rebuild as well.

I would have still had to rebuild the transmission myself to get that price, shipping my transmission off to one of those shops, it was going to be 6600 at the least plus shipping.

I had a huge spreadsheet I built when I was designing and planning this truck, and this route made the most sense, the cost of parts for the th400 are so much freaking cheaper than the small batch parts for the 47re are. Billet input shaft for a th400 is less than 200.00, where a billet input shaft for a 47re is 750, just as one example.

I'm very happy with the th400 so far, time will tell how it holds up to the abuse I'm putting it through.