Porting??

ForceFed

I was told by a guy at fleece that I would see more of a gain from putting a side draft on then from having the pockets ported. So I am planning on doing a side draft, but I don't know if I should still have the pockets done or if I should just put in some back cut valves. I hotshot and the porters I have talked to told me I should only do the pockets and not the intake side. If it is helping you guys spool why would it be detrimental to me. The head getting modded is an 06 and its going on an early 04. Its only going to be spinning an E.D. 62/68/13.

I was told by a guy at fleece that I would see more of a gain from putting a side draft on then from having the pockets ported. So I am planning on doing a side draft, but I don't know if I should still have the pockets done or if I should just put in some back cut valves. I hotshot and the porters I have talked to told me I should only do the pockets and not the intake side. If it is helping you guys spool why would it be detrimental to me. The head getting modded is an 06 and its going on an early 04. Its only going to be spinning an E.D. 62/68/13.

:hehe::hehe:

Use the search feature

:hehe::hehe:

I was afraid of this. I did search. I also pm'd people that said they were going to get a stage 1 done and would let everyone know, but didn't. The threads I wanted to respond to were locked. So I thought I would gamble and start a new one. Should have know better. I don't really get what is so funny. Brayden wasn't trying to sell me the side draft so it seemed feasible since I read about more than one rig that claimed a noticeable gain from just a side draft. I think the stage 2 is a waste of money for my application and I wasn't planning on doing it. If the guy making the money is saying I don't need it I would say it is a pretty safe bet it is over kill. I was just curios to hear some opinions. I guess I will figure this out the same way I figured out how to convert my sled to a propane turbo.
BTW thanks forest.

I think a sidedraft for a hotshot truck would be a complete wast of money...IMO

You could spend that money on a good set of twins to flow and keep things cool....the 06' head is the best flowing to the front and back of all stock heads, so you might just port the bowls and exhaust runners......like they say "what can't ****, can't eat.... so get the air out of the head, spooling the charger(s) and they will do the work on the intake side

I want to see proof where a 2006 head is better and outperforms the other years. Is this some Internet rumor, or is there actual data?

I want to see proof where a 2006 head is better and outperforms the other years. Is this some Internet rumor, or is there actual data?

Ok, maybe I should refrain from my post, but it difference is clear in the humps toward #6 from earlier 24v heads to 06'CR changes.... it would be easier for air to get back there.... but I guess honestly as for "force induced" engines the whole intake is pressurized evenly so it wouldn't matter as long as the air is getting out efficiently....

You could spend that money on a good set of twins to flow and keep things cool....the 06' head is the best flowing to the front and back of all stock heads, so you might just port the bowls and exhaust runners......like they say "what can't ****, can't eat.... so get the air out of the head, spooling the charger(s) and they will do the work on the intake side

The way I'm looking at it is that if it gains me 0.1mpg's I will save around $300 per year. Therefore, not a waste of money in the long run. I would assume if people are being honest and can actually notice a seat of the pants difference. Than it must be a fairly big reduction in pumping loss, and I like the idea of the cylinders running more evenly. I would prefer to run a single. I am usually under 26,000 so I don't see any advantage to running compounds. I can go 50-55mph up all the grades I run at under 1300 degrees. The side draft will be under $700 with machine work and a new head gasket. After I sell my cfm+ and grid delete.

I just don't see it being worth the money for your application.

Not exactly.

A true IR sidedraft intake (not a billet bathtub plenum) has it's greatest gains at NA/low boost operation outside of higher-RPM wave tuning (IVC must reflect this).

An efficient intake for working trucks runs ~ $1200, while induction harmonic capability adds ~ $1K... both passive intake approaches compare quite favorably to twin kits.

The 6.7L is actually the best flowing CR (according to the SuperFlow bench), but as stated previously best bang for the buck is in the bowl/SSR... distancing the pinch point away from the seat is key.

I'd be the first to recommend either leaving a truck stock and enjoy the severe-duty maintenance schedule, or take a Ben Franklin & flush it down the crapper... if doesn't bother you to watch it circling the drain, your truck will likely end up on a magazine cover.

I just finished porting a side draft 24v head. There is a gain to be had. But it's not that much. If you are lookin for all out performance for race or sled pull, than i would say do it. But for what you are doing it would be a complete waste of money. Just do the normal porting of the bowls and exhaust. You will gain flow and reduce E.G.Ts. The last 24v head i did the egts droped 250 degrees, and it spooled faster.

You're never going to get your "money's worth" out of a fancy ported head on a hard working towing mule. Ported heads have a much shorter life span than a good stock head. I think a ported extreme "side-draft" head will be toast long before it pays for itself.

Your best bet is to leave the whole thing stock, sell it, and buy a well cared for low mileage 97' Ram 3500 Dually with a 5 speed manual. Drop a few K making the steering bullet-proof, upgrade the clutch, install a small set of twins, install a small set of injectors and you'd have a 750,000 mile hot shot rig that's more reliable than anything out there you can buy. Get a bad load of fuel somewhere,..... no problem, it will just cough a sputter a little till you spike it with a quart or two of motor oil.

Get a bad batch of fuel in a new common rail...... call the two truck..... shell out 3K for new injectors..... repeat in 2 years when it happens again.

This is all just an opinion.....

^^^^^ could not agree more....

my 96 drinks purple by the gallon from outta the rig tanks, sh!t fuel ? you bet.... has it ever failed to get me home, happily puffin soot ? NOPE

You're never going to get your "money's worth" out of a fancy ported head on a hard working towing mule. Ported heads have a much shorter life span than a good stock head. I think a ported extreme "side-draft" head will be toast long before it pays for itself.

Your best bet is to leave the whole thing stock, sell it, and buy a well cared for low mileage 97' Ram 3500 Dually with a 5 speed manual. Drop a few K making the steering bullet-proof, upgrade the clutch, install a small set of twins, install a small set of injectors and you'd have a 750,000 mile hot shot rig that's more reliable than anything out there you can buy. Get a bad load of fuel somewhere,..... no problem, it will just cough a sputter a little till you spike it with a quart or two of motor oil.

Get a bad batch of fuel in a new common rail...... call the two truck..... shell out 3K for new injectors..... repeat in 2 years when it happens again.

This is all just an opinion.....

I wasn't planning on getting some full tilt job, but this was still a concern. I was thinking a stage 1 cnc job from brzezinski. I figured they would leave a little more meat, but if the castings vary like people say then they could still get some pretty thin spots.

1000+ hp has been made on a stock head...

I wasn't planning on getting some full tilt job, but this was still a concern. I was thinking a stage 1 cnc job from brzezinski. I figured they would leave a little more meat, but if the castings vary like people say then they could still get some pretty thin spots.

In case you missed the post quoted above yours.....

I don't see a valid reason for any of this much less a sidedraft intake on a hotshotter truck.......