possibilty of runaway?

drdiesel12v

Dr. Diesel Performance
if this is in wrong place, sorry wasnt sure where to go with it.

on my truck in my sig, a 97 with a 180 pump, lcdv's, 5k gsk, no fuel plate or afc, 5x14's, dual fed, and rack plug...how much of a chance do i have of it running away? i guess im a little paranoid of it happening. Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question lol.

thanks
Cody

About the same as everyone else.

If you don't mind me asking, why the 5k gsk? What do you do with it?

with your 5x14s you shouldn't starve the pump too much but I would run a dual feed into the p7100 @ around 60psi with some additives for lubricant that should keep you far from plunger gauling you need to keep your fuel pressure from dropping to low if your going to be running a single feed becouse you will starve the front plunger
good luck!

the 5k's actually run better than my 4's i had in. and im one to be different and so many people around here have 4k's, i know not a good reason haha.

And i have a dual feed setup on the way from Rob. i guess my FASS would be able to do 60psi. and i run about 2 gallons of used filtered motor oil to a tank.

Like said, your chances are the same as everyone else, but I do tend to see more issues with the 160/175 pumps. I'd steer clear of the used motor oil and run and additive like Rev-X, Stanadyne, or Redline...products that are actually designed for injector pumps.

On a side note I just read your signature and saw that you've got no plate, no AFC and full cuts. Not to tell you what to do with your truck, but you could probably pick up a large amount of power by installing a #6 plate, 191 DV's, and tuning the AFC.

Tuning the AFC will help, but I don't think throwing a plate in there would help. Full cuts are overkill though.

Tuning the AFC will help, but I don't think throwing a plate in there would help. Full cuts are overkill though.
I know that a #6 plate full forward made more power than no plate, 0, 100, as well as a few other profiles in different positions...all on my truck(215 Pump), and on a dyno. The #6 also worked quite well with 160/175 and 180 pumps on a dyno, but what do I know.

I know that a #6 plate full forward made more power than no plate, 0, 100, as well as a few other profiles in different positions...all on my truck(215 Pump), and on a dyno. The #6 also worked quite well with 160/175 and 180 pumps on a dyno, but what do I know.

Maybe you didn't have the air for no plate? Or did it make more power in lower rpms? Did it just prevent the turbo from being choked out down low?

i put back in 181's and it does run better, but has a surge at low rpms with converter locked. maybe time for sdx comps?

Ive got a 66 on this truck for a turbo so its no slouch in the air department. without ported head and rack plug, id have no problem getting to around 2000* egt's and constant smoke with full cuts. my 181's are around 17-1800*. im also only running 19* timing, once i swap my head and tappet cover, im going to set timing around 22-23*.

I have tried re installing afc, and tuning for days, alls it does it makes it a big turd off the line and definitely limits fuel. maybe im doing something wrong?

You need more timing! And, how much boost are you running?

how much timing u think i can run? Also since im running a .010 over head gasket, should i put the thinner copper washers under my injectors?

I am running 55psi out of the 66, maybe more once i get it back from FI.

i had my 180 pump hang up at 130 or so, scared the he77 out of me. i about burnt the brakes off that truck. but i was running some sorry fuel. i have had good luck buring old motor oil. never had a problem with it.

how did u kill it? just shut the key off or what? im thinking bout either a air shut off, or halon extinguisher plumbed to the intake.

how much timing u think i can run? Also since im running a .010 over head gasket, should i put the thinner copper washers under my injectors instead of the stockers?

Maybe you didn't have the air for no plate? Or did it make more power in lower rpms? Did it just prevent the turbo from being choked out down low?
I tried it with a 62, 64, and 66 on my truck and the #6 plate made more power throughout the whole rpm range. Same results on a 180 truck with a 62, and 160/175 trucks with a 62, and 64.

how much timing u think i can run? Also since im running a .010 over head gasket, should i put the thinner copper washers under my injectors instead of the stockers?
I've run as high as 30*, but 22-25* should work well without too muck turbo lag. I've had good luck running the thin washers, but you might want to check with your injector manufacture to see what they recommend.

I tried it with a 62, 64, and 66 on my truck and the #6 plate made more power throughout the whole rpm range. Same results on a 180 truck with a 62, and 160/175 trucks with a 62, and 64.

I've run as high as 30*, but 22-25* should work well without too muck turbo lag. I've had good luck running the thin washers, but you might want to check with your injector manufacture to see what they recommend.

at what point do you start to spray out of the bowl... I've heard 24-25 on the 145* spray and 20 ish on the 155* marine spray

as for the plate, that makes absolutely no sense, for the plate only restricts fueling and less fuel = less power unless your way way way too rich

how did u kill it? just shut the key off or what? im thinking bout either a air shut off, or halon extinguisher plumbed to the intake.

i finally kicked it in nuetral. i was coming up on a corner and didnt want to loose the power steeering and power brakes.

at what point do you start to spray out of the bowl... I've heard 24-25 on the 145* spray and 20 ish on the 155* marine spray

as for the plate, that makes absolutely no sense, for the plate only restricts fueling and less fuel = less power unless your way way way too rich

I think you're close. But I heard 19 for 155*. Depends on gasket and injector washer thickness too.

Thats also what I was thinking about the plate thing.