Possible Fuel Pump Problems...

Lil' E

Fuel Junky
Yesterday morning I was going down the road and my truck lost all power. All the pressure levels were ok and the temps werent hot. It sounded as if the truck was running out of fuel but I had 3/4 of a tank. I changed the fuel filter and it didnt solve my problem. I noticed that now when I turn the key on the fuel pump isnt running at all. And I even took the filter cap off and no fuel pumped up to it. I checked and the pump is getting voltage but its not coming on. Any suggestions anybody? Thanks in advance.

Contact Bobcat698, his old PSD was giving the new owner similar problems that they tried tracking down for awhile. IIRC, it wound up being the CPS, no lie, and I saw the truck last week, runs excellent, after talking with the owner, been great ever since he changed it out.

Turn the key on and you should hear the pump for 20-30 sec reguardless of the cps as the pcm controls this. If you do not hear this check the pump for power, also check the sensor in the pass kick panel, if not I have seen a corroded wire near the brake cyl where there are 3 or 4 connectors on the fender liner. You are loking for a dark grn w/yellow tracer going into inertia switch and pink w/blk tracer output to fuel pump.

Tim

Turn the key on and you should hear the pump for 20-30 sec reguardless of the cps as the pcm controls this. If you do not hear this check the pump for power, also check the sensor in the pass kick panel, if not I have seen a corroded wire near the brake cyl where there are 3 or 4 connectors on the fender liner. You are loking for a dark grn w/yellow tracer going into inertia switch and pink w/blk tracer output to fuel pump.

Tim

I will check this tomorrow thanks. The pump makes a buzz for approx. a second and shuts back off. It does have power going to it though everytime Ive check it.

I checked it yeterday and the fuel pump kicked on a couple times and the truck still wouldnt start, and the last couple times it didnt do anything. Its kinda got me stumped at this point. :bang

Last edited:
It may be fried. They are a pretty simple swap. Crack open the water separator and cycle the key. If it does not piss fuel, your lift pump is a goner.

Well I replaced the pump and the truck fired up. :rockwoot: It wasn't that hard of a job to do. Except for the fact that I couldn't bleed the fuel pressure off until I pulled off a line, and it made a messs on the floor. :bang
But other than that it all went pretty smooth. I have another question now though. The truck has a slight knock in it now around 1500, and the truck puts out a steady haze of white smoke. There isn't any pressure in the base and there isn't pressure coming back out the intake. Could the lift pump going up take an injector out?

Last edited:
I have another question now though. The truck has a slight knock in it now around 1500, and the truck puts out a steady haze of white smoke. There isn't any pressure in the base and there isn't pressure coming back out the intake. Could the lift pump going up take an injector out?

Well nevermind my last question. I was so worked up last night after I got my truck done that I thought something else was wrong with it that I totally forgot about the fact that its not going to run right if there is still air trapt in the system! :bang
Went out and started it this morning and after it warmed up ran it up the road a short distance and when I got back home everything sounded just fine. Thank you guys for all the help with my problem. I thought it went up but I just wanted a second opinion. :thankyou2: