Possible or pipe dream.

Smoky isn't streetable.

How many trucks are in the 8s?

How many of those do you see cruising around town?

This. And we're not trying to **** on the OP's ideas, but come on.... Let's set realistic goals and work steady.

Dave Dunbar used to have a dakota drag truck. He would be one to talk to...But I dont think your gonna get in the 8's and keep it streetable. But hey, With enough money almost anythings possible!

That was in 03'....sad day when the rack hung and it went on the roof!

Jim

9's on spray and 10's fuel-only is the absolute limit for street-able with today's diesel technology in my opinion.

Why spend a million+ on building the world's quickest diesel powered dakota conversion truck with blue paint, when you could buy a nice super car that will do 250+ MPH, handle well at 100+ MPH, and still run high 10's in the 1/4 mile?

would the common rail be better to build the power and be more street friendly

would the common rail be better to build the power and be more street friendly

Electronic tuning would be more street friendly. Mechanical tuning would be more reliable and consistent.

To help further this pipe dream, you should talk with a few different professional drag race chassis shops and investigate the cost of a full tube chassis to make a Dodge Dakota :
1. Legal to run 8 seconds passes at the track
2. Have the proper weight bias and overall chassis setup to hook-up 2000 ft lbs of torque.
3. Learn about the cost to build a full-blown race truck so you can double check that your wallet is fat enough to accomplish the 8 second street legal pipe dream.

My buddies got a 94 Dakota with a 4bt. With 437hp it ran a best of 12.92 in the 1/4. Shooting for 11's this year with a p-pumped 4bt around 550-600 hp.

fletcher used to drive that old dodge around once and a while when it was running 9's

Electronic tuning would be more street friendly. Mechanical tuning would be more reliable and consistent.
Why does the tuning change itself, by itself, when ever it wants? Are you just saying a mechanical engine has far less things to go wrong/fail or are you say flat out a mechanical engine (12-valve) will always yield a more consistent result at the track then say an EFI Live tuned CR Cummins?

Just trying to understand your reasoning here. Just curious:).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, anything is possible with unlimited funds and time for R&D. You want a 0.0005cc motor to make one billion horsepower at 1RPM and run on water? Sure no problem, if you have the funds and the time to wait for year 30,000 A.D..

That said, while we live in the real world, an 8 second drag vehicle will never been street friendly. Ever. Unless you idea of "street friendly" is completely distorted and unrealistic.

Not trying to be a jerk, just make a point. Usually giant lofty goals like this don't work out. Working towards a manageable goal and then when that is achieved working towards a slightly higher goal is how good/great things happen (usually).

If you have a whole lot of money a high 10 second 1,000-1,200hp CR Cummins or Duramax truck that could be tuned back to 700-800hp(ish) for the street is completely possible. There a good number of trucks running around out there like that. You better have a TON of money for the built though, then a ton more for when things break.

Last edited:
I know it probably a pipe dream as for a diesel powered street vehicle in the 8's, but there are plenty of street driven gassers out there in the 8's. But like its been preached before, its all in how much money you want to spend.

Why does the tuning change itself, by itself, when ever it wants? Are you just saying a mechanical engine has far less things to go wrong/fail or are you say flat out a mechanical engine (12-valve) will always yield a more consistent result at the track then say an EFI Live tuned CR Cummins?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, anything is possible with unlimited funds and time for R&D. You want a 0.0005cc motor to make one billion horsepower at 1RPM and run on water? Sure no problem, if you have the funds and the time to wait for year 30,000 A.D..

That said, while we live in the real world, an 8 second drag vehicle will never been street friendly. Ever. Unless you idea of "street friendly" is completely distorted and unrealistic.

Not trying to be a jerk, just make a point. Usually giant lofty goals like this don't work out. Working towards a manageable goal and then when that is achieved working towards a slightly higher goal is how good/great things happen (usually).

If you have a whole lot of money a high 10 second 1,000-1,200hp CR Cummins or Duramax truck that could be tuned back to 700-800hp(ish) for the street is completely possible. There a good number of trucks running around out there like that. You better have a TON of money for the built though, then a ton more for when things break.

I mostly agree. BUT I prefer mechanical injection over CR always. I know people disagree but I like the way mechanical trucks drive. And a 1000-1200 hp dakota will go a hell of a lot faster then 10's. A full weight truck with that power will run 10's. A properly tuned, properly set up Dakota with some wright reduction could run in the 9's maybe even 8's with 1200 hp.

That being said 1200hp is not street friendly. Like I said before a 600-700 hp Dakota set up right would run 10's, be street friendly, and still be a blast to drive.

Why spend a million+ on building the world's quickest diesel powered dakota conversion truck with blue paint, when you could buy a nice super car that will do 250+ MPH, handle well at 100+ MPH, and still run high 10's in the 1/4 mile?

BTW- This is my favorite response yet! A Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport will do 269mph (well limited to 257mph for production cars) and run a 9.9 in the 1/4th if the traction is there. I say that:D. And for the low low price of $2,500,000(ish)!

It is a 1,200hp vehicle you actually can drive everyday without issue.

And a 1000-1200 hp dakota will go a hell of a lot faster then 10's. A full weight truck with that power will run 10's. A properly tuned, properly set up Dakota with some wright reduction could run in the 9's maybe even 8's with 1200 hp.

Sorry, I should have clarified before, I was talking about a 1,000-1,200hp full weight truck (Dodge Ram/GM Silverado, Sierra) running high 10s. Not a Dakota.

It seems like electronically controlled trucks are more affected by weather conditions than mechanically injected vehicles. My opinion is that there are too many complex fueling tables for a modern diesel to be perfectly consistent run after run. If the intake air temp changes 2*F, it runs on a different part of the map. If the engine isn't quite up to full operating temp, it runs different. If the map sensor has a momentary hick-up, it runs different.

With mechanical injection, it always fuels the same. If it's warmer out, it makes a little less power because the air is less dense but it's consistent. It's not like an electronically tuned motor that pulls back timing and kills 20 HP because the intake air temp sensor was heat soaked from hot lapping the truck.

Other's will disagree, but my opinion is that mechanically governed/tuned vehicles are more consistent simple because the fuel delivery is identical regardless of conditions.

Those are good points. Thank you for the explanation sir, appreciate it!

I'd say pipe dream. 8secs on the street is unrealistic because it'll never perform on the street like it does on the track. Try cutting 1.2 60s away from a stop light. And driving a 1200hp truck down the track and driving the same truck detuned to 700 isn't relevant either because it's not the same 1200hp that was on the track. But on the same note your dream can be real because with the $$$(as mentioned several times before) a 8sec Dakota can be built. Add the street legal stuff and it can drive on the street. Can it be driven at full potential? No chance and why would u want to? Also think of the safety factor. This isn't fast and furious.

Back