powersteering pump

CumminsDriver

BAM BAM
Alright ive searched what i could and not coming up with stuff that makes sense...

My truck makes a whinning noise when i turn on past trucks it turns out to be a powersteering pump but after reading some other stuff someone said that if i have good brakes then its not my powersteering pump and the brakes are fine. WHen the truck is sittin still i can not turn the wheel at all but i give it a lil throttle and i can turn it maybe a 1/8 of the way each way. So is it a pump or is it gearbox or what im lost and i could really use the info please.

thanks

mine is kinda the same way. i have to give it some throttle to get it to allow me to turn the wheels easy. I have a leak in my pump so i have to fill it up. I would be interested to see what others say.

i am gonnna venture a guess...
i am gonna say change out fluid to atf. it will help it run cooler and quiet it down with new, better fluid. especially if your fluid is burned, 2 qts to try cant hurt,

Drain 1 qt, add 1 qt of ATF and drive around the block a few times or lift the front do a few full lock turns. Then drain all the fluid and replace with power steering fluid.

My 95' Junker would not turn on flat ground unless rolling and now it turns like a new truck! I also used an inline filter on the return line during my flush out and sure enough, there was metal shavings, gunk, and maybe a little rust that got caught in the filter. I believe there is an internal bypass that gets stuck open with debris floating in the fluid. An inline filter on the return line might fix the problem but it's not much more work to flush the system with ATF.

mine did that too. i had no power steering below 1000 rpm but goin down the road i still had good brakes... id say pump but be sure fou flush ALL fluid. i had to change mine twice within 3 months because of contaminated oil.

I would vote bad powersteering pump$.02. I never had a brake issue but as stated would have to keep rpms up to steer. It also didnt help that i had just put 37's on my truck. So far im on lucky #3 but i think the last pump going out took the steering box with it (now it clunks).

ok i drained the fluid and put more in and its alot better but still has a lil bit of a hum to it so should i do it a couple more times?

drive it for a day then doit again.. let it break some more stuff loose.

atf is a natural deteragent. ie is cleans teh hell of things

The pump is on its way, you will have brakes till its gone completely out. Ive had plenty of experience with these damn pumps im on my 5th one right now on my 04.5. When the pump goes buy a new one from dodge and not remaned they changed the design of the pumps my new one hasnt failed yet.

ok so i drove it for a lil bit constantly making turns so now im gonna drain it and refil it but should i refill it with atf or regular powersteering fluid?

ATF IV synthetic is what I use. About $3-4/qt.