Price of Diesel???

I'm with Joe and the $5.00/gal. It is currently hovering at $5.19 in my area.

With that price, I won't be going to larger events I normally would. Last year, when diesel was only $3.00, I dropped an easy $600 plus on fuel to Colorado and back. This year, it's just not feasible. Mind you, if I had a stupid supply of money, I'd still do it.

Does the purse affect me? Not really, if I go, I'm not going expecting any cash out of it, although it's nice I'm there for the fun of it.

Nice of you to ask, though! Way to go, guys!

What's up with the two separate prices for trucks and autos???

That don't make sense!!! Of course $4.80/gal. don't make sense either!!:bang

I don't know, it's always like that at all of the truck stops I have seen here in this state, not sure if it's like that elsewhere....
Oops.....yeah, tax exempt......

Tax exempt? For road fuel? I doubt that can be correct. Trucks are the main reason the roads go to sh*t. Taxes are for road use. That makes no sense. Tax exempt fuel is for ag use. I fill up at the big nozzle so I guess I don't notice but I don't think there is any tax breaks for over-the-road trucks. I may be wrong but that makes no sense. $.02

Tax exempt? For road fuel? I doubt that can be correct. Trucks are the main reason the roads go to sh*t. Taxes are for road use. That makes no sense. Tax exempt fuel is for ag use. I fill up at the big nozzle so I guess I don't notice but I don't think there is any tax breaks for over-the-road trucks. I may be wrong but that makes no sense. $.02

Tax exempt meaning the truck companies pay directly to the state so they don't pay at the pump. (or something along that line)

I see, now that makes sense. Maybe they settle up at the end of the year and figure it in with their taxes so they don't have to pay it up front. Thanks for the info. Never thought of that. I haven't seen any "two price" diesel in OK but then again I'm not on the road much anymore. :D

The road taxes are paid by the weight-mile by the trucking companies. In other words, they pay an amount theoretically proportional to the damage they do to it. It seems cheaper when you buy the fuel, but they end up paying MUCH more in the end.

Unfortunately I don't know any of the rates off the top of my head, since I quit driving over-the-road over 20 years ago (just did it for a while in college). I just remember it was damn expensive when we paid the road use taxes.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Sorry to go off topic -

Well why doesn't the US build their roads like they do in Europe? I've read that our roads and highways are about one foot thick at most, while in Europe they are closer to 30" thick and I have heard they have a lot less issues with bad roads. Another thing I noticed is large mobile cranes in Europe carry the boom on the whole truck itself, and not in "tow" on a little trailer or whatever it is.

Sorry to go off topic -

Well why doesn't the US build their roads like they do in Europe? I've read that our roads and highways are about one foot thick at most, while in Europe they are closer to 30" thick and I have heard they have a lot less issues with bad roads. Another thing I noticed is large mobile cranes in Europe carry the boom on the whole truck itself, and not in "tow" on a little trailer or whatever it is.

Not sure what the construction technique is, but I agree with the quality of the roads. The Autostrada network through Italy is phenomenal road surface. OTOH, the secondary roads can be as crappy as any I've ever seen in the USA.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back