profab dropbox/reverser

Another question pertaining to this kind of stuff. Who makes a "clutch can" for the cummins motors (set up for a reverser)? Do you need a different bellhousing adapter to the engine? Or is it a bolt on deal? Approximate prices??

-Tom

I used a nv4500 bell housing with an adapter plate saves alot of $$$$$$
i also went with profab because there service is second to none and the gentleman at scs can be a real ars hole. I was going to go with scs but when I called them back to order the "quote" he gave me was acording to him "never priced that way you are a liar" and he hung up on me. I did not fell that was any way to treat a costomer about to spend 20k. ( I was ordring complete setups for 4 trucks) Larry at profab was nothing but helpfull and great to work with.$.02
100_0037a.JPG
not a great pic of the adapter but the best I had

Larry is a very nice and helpfull guy. we got our 3sp profab from larry quik on getting the parts out.
Dale

Sorry, I found the price list on there website. I was not expecting to pay that much, but its not a big deal. What is the difference between the four or so bellhousings they offer for the Cummins motor? I see there is a difference in SFI certification, but not a lot of info is posted on there website about the Cummins versions.... Difference in depth? Starter socket? Mounting pattern?

I am a little confused, I would like to have one that bolts directly to the bellhousing adapter that is on the motor already, plus it would leave the starter out of the equation.

-Tom

Sorry, I found the price list on there website. I was not expecting to pay that much, but its not a big deal. What is the difference between the four or so bellhousings they offer for the Cummins motor? I see there is a difference in SFI certification, but not a lot of info is posted on there website about the Cummins versions.... Difference in depth? Starter socket? Mounting pattern?

I am a little confused, I would like to have one that bolts directly to the bellhousing adapter that is on the motor already, plus it would leave the starter out of the equation.

-Tom
I guess they didn't make one for the factory bellhousing adapter until last year. Ted Sterner had them make one so you would either have to talk to them or call Ted at 937-489-2051. I know the one they made Ted was screwed up and had to be modified. The starter pocket was in the wrong place and the inspection hole was on the top. They were real cool about it and I guess are going to make it right this year. They said they never even thought about the inspection hole being in the wrong place since most of the trucks they make them for have lift bodies.:bang

The only reason he had a custom bellhousing made was because it was cheaper to have that done rather than buy 2 new clutches and a new starter.

I used a nv4500 bell housing with an adapter plate saves alot of $$$$$$
i also went with profab because there service is second to none and the gentleman at scs can be a real ars hole. I was going to go with scs but when I called them back to order the "quote" he gave me was acording to him "never priced that way you are a liar" and he hung up on me. I did not fell that was any way to treat a costomer about to spend 20k. ( I was ordring complete setups for 4 trucks) Larry at profab was nothing but helpfull and great to work with.$.02
View attachment 7550
not a great pic of the adapter but the best I had
There is a good reason why SCS had that attitude (I say had since I believe the son runs it now and he's supposed to be a little nicer on the phone) I know of 2 people other than you that have been hung up on. Both were because of a making a comment like "wow that's expensive" on the phone when quoted a price. Like it or not they make a good product and don't have to bicker on price to sell anything. Also if you search around on SCS's site, truck pulling parts are just a drop in the bucket. The real money is with those offshore racing boat parts. And I guess when your dealing with a race teams with millions invested in these boats some guy complaining about the price of a dropbox/reverser would tend to get annoying. No offense, I thought their reaction was a little rude also but having dealt with customers on the phone myself......not much gets your point across like simply hanging up on them.:banghead::hehe:

the problem was they quoted me a price 2 weeks prior to this and then did not stand behind it. I would have paid more if they would have had been nice about it

There is a good reason why SCS had that attitude (I say had since I believe the son runs it now and he's supposed to be a little nicer on the phone) I know of 2 people other than you that have been hung up on. Both were because of a making a comment like "wow that's expensive" on the phone when quoted a price. Like it or not they make a good product and don't have to bicker on price to sell anything. Also if you search around on SCS's site, truck pulling parts are just a drop in the bucket. The real money is with those offshore racing boat parts. And I guess when your dealing with a race teams with millions invested in these boats some guy complaining about the price of a dropbox/reverser would tend to get annoying. No offense, I thought their reaction was a little rude also but having dealt with customers on the phone myself......not much gets your point across like simply hanging up on them.:banghead::hehe:

the guy that builds our Spec engines for our stock cars builds offshore racing boat engines, he built them for a team from the middle east, 100K a engine or more......they paid cash.......the local Budweiser distribution plant owns the Miss Budweiser Offshore boat and its nothing but a tax write off.......it really puts stuff into perspective when you say im going to spend 50k for a brand new truck you are gonna KEEP for 5 years and they pay 100K+ for a motor that will MIGHT last 500 miles.......

the guy that builds our Spec engines for our stock cars builds offshore racing boat engines, he built them for a team from the middle east, 100K a engine or more......they paid cash.......the local Budweiser distribution plant owns the Miss Budweiser Offshore boat and its nothing but a tax write off.......it really puts stuff into perspective when you say im going to spend 50k for a brand new truck you are gonna KEEP for 5 years and they pay 100K+ for a motor that will MIGHT last 500 miles.......

My son in law paints and does the graphics on the budweiser boats at the shop he works at in Union Mo.Pro-Bodyworks they do alot of monstor trucks and race cars and tractor trailers.
Dale

Wouldn't it be sweet to play with someone elses money.

I guess they didn't make one for the factory bellhousing adapter until last year. Ted Sterner had them make one so you would either have to talk to them or call Ted at 937-489-2051. I know the one they made Ted was screwed up and had to be modified. The starter pocket was in the wrong place and the inspection hole was on the top. They were real cool about it and I guess are going to make it right this year. They said they never even thought about the inspection hole being in the wrong place since most of the trucks they make them for have lift bodies.:bang

The only reason he had a custom bellhousing made was because it was cheaper to have that done rather than buy 2 new clutches and a new starter.

Thanks for the info. How do you make sure the input shaft on the drop box is the correct length to reach the pilot on the flywheel, when bolted to the clutch can?

-Tom

I believe you bolt the can to the adapter and measure it before you order the reverser. I think SCS will make any length shaft you need (I'm sure profab is the same). What clutch are you using? Do you already have the reverser and dropbox?

Last edited:
I don't have any of it except for the clutch (three disc). But I want to switch to this stuff before I have a catastrophic failure in the driveline that could compromise the engine.

-Tom

if you call and talk to them, im sure they already got all the measurements you need since there are several trucks out there running them now and if they are like any other business, they keep all the templates, blanks and measurements from any custom projects they build....

smart man......:thankyou2:......im a safety freak, i guess spending 5 years as a tech inspector at a dirt track and seeing people almost burn alive a few times along with all kinds of other injuries makes you appreciate safety ALOT more.....