Programmers for 2nd Gen Cummins

Porkchop446

I'm wondering what programmers are the best for efficiency and power for my 2001 Ram 2500.

I have a buddy running a super chip ... trying to coinvince him to get the edge or diablo .... this is a good question i think ... but mostly its gonna be about personal preference and or oppinions .....

no joke! what ⬆ he seaid. everyone asks basic questions. 80% of us on here joined the forum and ended up reading and geting so into the spirt after a few months and decided to build the truck we put a superchip on to a cometitive p pumped 1100hp monster for the strip or the pulling track dont be such a downer. You all complain about people "oraling coal" when you were younger, we all know it was cool hit the throttle while you were under the turbo and black out the road and ur buddys behind you going threw town you all just got so many smoke tickets, that you turned sour and are almost a discrase to the forum now with your bad attitudes, weather youve been in the sport for 5 minites or 10 years. cut these new guys slack....

I wasn't trying to offend him. Is this not "Competition" Diesel... This topic has been covered multiple times. But carry on... sorry to interrupt. Search function goes a long way fellas.

Last edited:
well i wasnt trying to be a prick i have just noticed it alot latley and its been needing to be seaid for quit some time.... no hard feelings?

well i wasnt trying to be a prick i have just noticed it alot latley and its been needing to be seaid for quit some time.... no hard feelings?

No hard feelings man.

To the OP, pretty much any tuner/programmer you can buy for the vp 24 valves can net you a fuel mileage gain and a power gain. It would help if we knew what trans mods/other engine mods you have as well.

Last edited:
No mods yet. Just bought it recently. It's got the 4 speed auto if that helps anyone. A few of my buddy's run different brands. One with an '04 runs a diablo but I've heard that lore or less the cheap programmer that will pretty much just get ya by,
Per my brother who is a diesel mechanics. The other has an '07 5.9 and runs a superchip and has found that to be the best match for his truck.

use the search function in the 98-02 section. BUT here's a quick run down for ya. VP44 pumps hate low fuel pressure. The best setup for a newb is: edge juice w/attitude and raptor lift pump to start. Edge has good power, and comes with gauges. Lift pump pressure gauge is important. Keep fuel pressure around 10 at WOT. Go ahead and get a good lift pump (raptor is plenty and you don't really need extra filtration). You'll have fun with that setup, then you can go from there.

use the search function in the 98-02 section. BUT here's a quick run down for ya. VP44 pumps hate low fuel pressure. The best setup for a newb is: edge juice w/attitude and raptor lift pump to start. Edge has good power, and comes with gauges. Lift pump pressure gauge is important. Keep fuel pressure around 10 at WOT. Go ahead and get a good lift pump (raptor is plenty and you don't really need extra filtration). You'll have fun with that setup, then you can go from there.

And nothing more needs to be said. ^^^^^^ :D

I like my Blue Chip FMS.

This. ^^ I ran multiple programmers/boxes, when I had my vp 24v, and none of them compared to to the FMS box. I was thoroughly impressed to say the least. There are a ton of options and smoke could be tuned to a minimum. Its a little on the pricey side but totally worth the money IMO. So if money is not an option in your search, the Bluechip FMS is the best you can buy. This is all a matter of opinion though.

If you're going to suggest a blue chip box, I'd personally go with an edge comp box much smoother power the whole way thru rpm range imo.

This will be my last post on this subject, because we could go on for days.

There are many options, but for the money you can't beat an edge juice. Pyro, boost, trans temp and fuel pressure gauges built in. Adjustable on the fly, smooth power and the boxes will take a beating. They are user friendly, have smoke adjustability, and hold their value. Other than MAX power sometimes, the juice is a better all around than the rest.

Blue chip, comp box, smarty, quad adrenaline all make power too, they just fall short in one area or another.