Puking Coolant - @ recovery bottle cap

Arlington - right off of 395, about a mile from the Pentagon - how about you?

King William County outside RIC about 50+ miles and below you about 2 hours South. There's a few good SD guys running around up that way.

Will be working @ Quantico building a new intelligence agencies facility for the govt. Would be nice to start meeting a few fellow diesel heads around here. Always looking for someone who knows more than me - which is a lot of people hahaha. Keep in touch bud.

Yea, I am on my third new cap and I know it is just a band-aid fix for it...I have to think that there is something else causing the pressure in the coolant system to be high enough to cause the cap to "go bad" every 17k or so...

could be egr heads or a over full coolant bottle or it could be the oil cooler but they would mix if so most of the time

If it was blown gaskets would there be residue around the heads?

No, no residue around heads. Is it still puking, or was it just towing? Your pics don't look too bad, if I tow mine pukes, but mine is useless for towing.

That's how mine looks, but I have not seen anything that says head gaskets. Not that I know all that much about diagnosing blown gaskets. I'm hoping it's just EGR related.

I emailed Adam Brannan a couple weeks ago looking to buy what he thinks I would need to fix, any know if his AOL addy is still active??

Mine looked just like yours for over 20K miles. The dealer replaced egr coolers, egr valves, caps, the whole overflow bottle. You name it and they changed it. It would stop, then come back.

Then finally a few months ago it got to the point where as soon as I would fire the truck up it would over heat. That's when they finally replaced the headgaskets.

That's how mine looks, but I have not seen anything that says head gaskets. Not that I know all that much about diagnosing blown gaskets. I'm hoping it's just EGR related.

I emailed Adam Brannan a couple weeks ago looking to buy what he thinks I would need to fix, any know if his AOL addy is still active??

You pretty much have to have a failure of both the valve(not likely as it defaults to closed and more boost forces it closed) and cooler to induce puking, so egr is not likely to cause puking(many other issues can occur-hydrolock for one). Ford has no way to diagnose headgasket failure(unless blatantly obvious-rare), so they try all the simple stuff first, then move to headgaskets.

Last edited:
A failed EGR cooler will cause them to puke alot. Failed coolers show the same symptoms as head gaskets and are very common. I worked for Ford as a diesel tech when the 6.0 first came out. I replaced a lot of head gaskets for nothing before we figured out the cooler dilema.

You pretty much have to have a failure of both the valve(not likely as it defaults to closed and more boost forces it closed) and cooler to induce puking, so egr is not likely to cause puking(many other issues can occur-hydrolock for one). Ford has no way to diagnose headgasket failure(unless blatantly obvious-rare), so they try all the simple stuff first, then move to headgaskets.

Thanks for info, any test to try? Pressure test or something. Why don't I see any milk in oil? Would I be able to test in exhaust somehow? I switched to straight water this summer for about a month while filling every 5 days or so. About one gallon every five days input. Not a drop of water in oil, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't going out exhaust, gotta be a way to see coolant out the tailpipe, no?

I'll do the band aids first for now - need to save up money. If head gaskets are gone injectors and turbo are going into the truck...have been waiting to see the progress with the chargers though - looks like a bolt on kit might be coming available soon.

Thanks for info, any test to try? Pressure test or something. Why don't I see any milk in oil? Would I be able to test in exhaust somehow? I switched to straight water this summer for about a month while filling every 5 days or so. About one gallon every five days input. Not a drop of water in oil, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't going out exhaust, gotta be a way to see coolant out the tailpipe, no?

Pull your EGR valve, if it looks wet/tar like substance on it then thats an indicator of a cracked EGR Cooler. When I blew HG on my 04 and on my 05 the inside the fender on the driver side was SOAKED with coolant and you could smell it while driving. THIS IS JUST FROM MY EXPERIENCE in no means am I a expert or a Ford Tech

Pull your EGR valve, if it looks wet/tar like substance on it then thats an indicator of a cracked EGR Cooler. When I blew HG on my 04 and on my 05 the inside the fender on the driver side was SOAKED with coolant and you could smell it while driving. THIS IS JUST FROM MY EXPERIENCE in no means am I a expert or a Ford Tech

Thanks JonnyB. I have replaced my EGR with a billet steel plug. When I did take it out it was carbed up but still functioning, it cleaned up pretty easily. It was moist, not a dry carbed up. You think that tells me cooler is putting mist thru engine and out exhaust?

Pulled the EGR valve today - had a wet oily/tar on it - wasn't just dried caked up crap. Here are some pictures. Would this elude to a cracked cooler?

Attachments

• EGR valve 1.jpg
    EGR valve 1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 20
  • EGR valve 2.jpg
    EGR valve 2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
Pulled the EGR valve today - had a wet oily/tar on it - wasn't just dried caked up crap. Here are some pictures. Would this elude to a cracked cooler?

Just looks like ccv oil to me, but that doesn't mean it is not bad.

A failed EGR cooler will cause them to puke alot. Failed coolers show the same symptoms as head gaskets and are very common. I worked for Ford as a diesel tech when the 6.0 first came out. I replaced a lot of head gaskets for nothing before we figured out the cooler dilema.

Sorry for confusion, but I was refering to Alvispace's issue. Saw that his egr was blocked(did not notice he had the valve side blocked, my bad) which could only be pressurized from boost. Hear you on the headgasket/cooler issue, Ford lost big $ due to techs not properly trained to diagnose the 6.0.

First off the new Reseviour cap won't fix the issue, the problem is either your head gaskets are blown or your egr cooler's are puking its either of the two. while your at it, Go ahead and get Head studs, Weld the coolers shut, get the EGR Delete you"ll be changing the egr valve quite often if you don't.

Get ahold of Innovative Diesel or RCD and have them hook you up with a tune etc.

Do you have any kind of smoke coming out the exhaust? if so is it Greyish/Blue or white?

Back