Pulling cam gear with out pulling cam?

I know it CAN be done, we do it often on the cams for the QSK50s at work, BUT, they are set to make peak power at 1900rpm, vs us looneys who try to make power past 4000rpm. I won't do it on my personal engines due to concerns over heat stress cracks. Now, I know this can be prevented with proper a proper cool down procedure, but still not a risk I want to take on something that has dollars coming out of my own pocket. Just like I've seen many cam gears crack due to shops welding them to the cams instead of using an actual retainer.

Just something to think about.

I like the oven idea tho, nice, slow, consistent heat is much better than blasting it with a rosebud and oxy/acet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you work for cummins to? I know it can be done as ive done it there with the proper puller and a oven. Just like you said not going to risk it on my own stuff when I can spend a few dollars on dowl rods and zip ties and just pull the cam an get the same result with less risk. Not pulling the gear unless I have to lol.

Any time you pull the cam gear, you risk damaging the cam. Just keep that in mind. I always find it tricky to get the puller situated so the Jaws pull properly and I use a spacer so the cam snout doesn't get marred. With my puller, I always have to pull the cam out about 1/4" or so to get the Jaws in place. Heat the gear to a good 300* and have a small hammer close by so you can tap the gear on if it starts to get tight towards the end. Use a prybar to hold the cam forward while you tap the gear or you risk pushing out the rear freeze plug.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

That's what I do, but i heat gear to 450 in lil toaster oven

I like the oven idea tho, nice, slow, consistent heat is much better than blasting it with a rosebud and oxy/acet

Heating anything cast with a torch is a bad idea. Slow even heat is the key. 400 degrees in my toaster oven let the gear fall right on with a a whack with a mallet at the end to be sure worked for me. 300 degrees got it half way on and had to pull it off and try again.

Hey, I tried to warn everyone about the temp....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I pull the gears off with a posi-lock 3 jaw puller and impact. Tried last night installing the cam gear by freezing the cam and heating the gear in the oven but it only went on a third of the way so taking to get it pressed on today.

That's a bad idea.