Questions on stacks

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
Anxious to get my stacks on now, but with my homemade bed pipe in position to put the stacks against the front bed rail, the pipe through the bottom of the bed would have to go through brace on the bottom of the bed. It's almost in the middle (width wise) of the bed, should I just cut through the support? How do you guys get your stacks so far forward without hitting this brace with the thru-pipe? :what:

i put my stack behind the brace,because i use my truck as a truck,its not a show truck.i would not cut the brace,thats gonna weaken the front of the box.i just ran a brace from the front of the top of the box,with a clamp.thanks

I didn't cut mine either.
pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Well I don't want my stacks sitting 4 inches from the front of the bed. My truck IS a work truck, but my Husky toolbox sits up front and it's feet are frame width so I don't see it causing any issues.. I'll just weld a patch on the support if need be in the future..

Thanks
Brad

vaicase said:
i put my stack behind the brace,because i use my truck as a truck,its not a show truck.i would not cut the brace,thats gonna weaken the front of the box.i just ran a brace from the front of the top of the box,with a clamp.thanks

seems like a bit of a contradiction, no? you put stacks in the front of the bed, so now you can't carry anything up there anyhow... but you still gave up four MORE inches of carrying space because you didn't want to cut the brace at the front of the bed where you won't be able to put anything anyhow... I'm stumped :confused:

i've hauled over 1,000lb of wood in my bed and I have stacks also with the front crossmember cut out a little. I haven't seen any problems with it either.

I dont think cutting into the front little itty bitty cross member is going to weaken the entire bed so its dangerous to carry anything, u gotta remember just cause ya got 3K pounds of weight its being distributed over a large area, not one spot. I cut most of mine out except for the front edge and only noticed it would bow if i put my full weight in that perticular spot, before the stacks went in. After they were in, I couldnt exactly put anything there, let alone heavy enough to hurt anything.
I have seen some interesting ways to avoid cutting into it, looked rather stupid in my opinion. Either u have stacks, or u have a truck, not really both. I just towed n played with mine, i wasent conserned with hauling anything in the bed. Thats why I have a 4wheel drive. But to each his own.

Forrest I will reach NASA and get to the bottom of this!!!!!!! :hehe:

Sawsall and a torch!

Just keep wackin' until she fits. Your bed ain't gonna support any weight up there anyways. That is what trailers are for!:rockwoot:

Attachments

• Stack 2.JPG
    Stack 2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Stack 3.JPG
    Stack 3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 28
  • Stack 14.JPG
    Stack 14.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Stack 8.JPG
    Stack 8.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 22
Sawsall says it all.. :hehe:

I'm gonna try to get them in this weekend, but I've got to change GSK springs around so I don't know if it will happen.
Here's a couple shots with them mocked-up about where they will be, just trying to decide on height.

Attachments

• stacks1.jpg
    stacks1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 24
  • stacks2.jpg
    stacks2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 40
4x4dually said:
Just keep wackin' until she fits.

I hope all you boys don't use this theory... It just doesn't sound quite right... Then again, y'all ain't right anyway :hehe: :poke: :hehe:

Pangela said:
I hope all you boys don't use this theory... It just doesn't sound quite right... Then again, y'all ain't right anyway :hehe: :poke: :hehe:

Wow....I could really go somewhere with this...but I won't...at least not on the public forum! :hehe: :poke: And who you callin' BOY? :shake:

4x4dually said:
Wow....I could really go somewhere with this...but I won't...at least not on the public forum! :hehe: :poke: And who you callin' BOY? :shake:

lol good choice. We should probably stop here, before we need a big truck and a tow rope.

cut mine, used a torch, hole saw was taking too long. they look stupid like 8 feet from the cab IMHO
Img_0206.jpg

Img_0196.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Last edited:
I cut my brace halfway the first time. second time there was no brace in the way.

Andy

I put my Y under the frame and then cut 2 holes in the bed for the stacks, and left most of the brace as 1 piece. Unlike most of yawl, I can still haul 4x8 sheet of stuff with the tailgate up.

Back