Racing without a radiator or any water ???

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. We do plan on filling the block in the future and at that time I guess we will just run water in the head.

To add a caveat to this...

Should a block be filled before machining, or can you fill a built motor without repercusions?

That is what believed to be true. Thanks. Also with the way VaOutlaw worded it, I didn't want him to be under any false impressions.

I just picked up a 12V 2WD Pro Street truck and the previous owner removed the radiator and all water from the block and head and also removed the freeze plugs. The block is NOT filled.

Is there anyone else out there racing without any water at all ? If so , how are you monitoring your temp and how long are you having to wait in between passes ?

Shouldn't your builder know what to do? if not you need another builder.

Shouldn't your builder know what to do? if not you need another builder.

We are well aware that it has to be done PRIOR to the machine work. When I said I plan on doing it later , I meant when I change the current combo. Thanks.....

A signature makes people credible? I knew I had it all wrong. :poke:

I stopped reading signatures a long time ago. LOL

We are well aware that it has to be done PRIOR to the machine work. When I said I plan on doing it later , I meant when I change the current combo. Thanks.....

NOT that big of a deal either way. Ideally you'd do it before machining. But in reallity Ive done it a bunch of times either way and all's good. You just want nice straight cylinders, Ive run a bore guage down them before and after and you see Zero movement or expansion, If you do you had bigger problems to start with. Again, this is from years experiance not what Ive read or hear say.

Last edited:
Id fill the block and move your coolant probe down into the oil pan.

Agree. Dump the coolant, water, or whatever sludge you have in the coolant system, save weight, and after the pass, stick a leaf blower in the cooling jacket, and blow away.

We were tired of cool downs, water leaks, and other headaches. We did not fill the block, not a bad idea for stiffening the bores, but adds mass that you have to cool...

I use morosso block fill and let it sit for 4 weeks before machining. It does distort the cylinder walls.