Re-locating Gear Shifter-autos.

now are you guys running just a performance valve body or a manual shift valve body?

mine is a manual v body. if its in 3rd it leaves in 3rd .cant shift into first until under 10mph .or it will lock em up.

DSC00599.jpg

I have a B&M Star Ratchet Shifter for my puller..

Question is, the trans has 3 stops, I get that, but how do I keep it from going into Overdrive once I am in the third position? Will the OD off button still work on my column shifter?

Is there any way to force the computer to stay in 3rd gear without having to hit the button all the time?

Thanks in advance!

It's not 5 or 6 speed. Just a replacement for the column. The cable and hardware for our tranny is just like a 727. Nothing special to do.... I just removed the column shifter, disconnected it's cable under the truck and tied it off. Installed the 6ft. cable that comes with the shifter through the fire wall up through the console. Connect the other end to the existing bracket on the trans... adjusted and it's good to go. There's a connector under the dash to disconnect the wires coming from the column shifter. I ran those 2 wires through my new shifter and connected them to the handle button. It works just like it did on the column. One push for tow/haul, another for OD.

The hardest part was finding good spots to weld the shifter mount too, It needs to be very solid. I ended up after hours of trying to figure it out... welding to the seat mounts.

another angle.....

shifter3.jpg

shifter2.jpg

What is the squeeze handle for?

Question is, the trans has 3 stops, I get that, but how do I keep it from going into Overdrive once I am in the third position? Will the OD off button still work on my column shifter?

Is there any way to force the computer to stay in 3rd gear without having to hit the button all the time?

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to tap a wire on the trans and use a toggle switch for OD on/off. Or tap the wires from the column shifter and do the same.

Thanks in advance!

3 way toggle. (double pole single throw switch) 1 position is computer controlled, the middle(off) is no lockup, the top position is manual lock up.
That was my old setup. I just tied the push button in parallel with the manual.

So on your new setup, just use a toggle(SPST) and put it series with the computer controlled wire. Then wire in your pushbutton, after the toggle. Make sure your pushbutton is between the toggle and the Lockup solenoid.

prevents from missing a gear or going to neutral. Pull it in while shifting and you can't go any where but, the next gear.

Do you have to use it to shift? I would be interested in rigging the squeeze handle up as the throttle.

As far as I know its basically a 727 w/ electronic OD more or less. Theres differences, but the same basic design is the same right?

I'm gonna say yes for being a 727 with electronics for the overdrives. The unit that fits over the shift linkage on the trans. is what determines if a 4sp through 6sp trans. depending on yrs.

Do you have to use it to shift? I would be interested in rigging the squeeze handle up as the throttle.

yeah, it's a part of the ratchet mechanism. I wouldn't mind having it as a hand brake myself. It's too easy to slip right into the next gear though so, it's handy as is.

my shifter has just 3 gears.because it comes with blockers.yes its really a 4spd tranny but the computer does that shift.

Here's My Shifter

DSC00694.jpg
I fabbed everything for my install of my shifter and switches. On the other side, I have 2 gauges for the loadlevel and air tank (for horn and beable to air up my tires at the track).