Rear main leak?

yjay

Can this be oil from the rear main? I ask because I just had it changed when my new clutch went in. Never noticed a leak, but they said it was leaking a little. Now I have a pretty good leak since the day I got it back. It's coming down the front of the flywheel cover if that's what it's called because I wiped it clean and it leaked from up above kinda by the oil pan. Can it leak from up there or only out the hole on the bottom of the bell housing?
Seems like a big coincidence if so.

Attachments

• rear main.jpg
    rear main.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
Could also be the rear cam seal. Its between the adapter plate and the block.

Another pic. The left side of the pic is the oil pan, the right is the trans/bell housing.

Attachments

• rear main 2.jpg
    rear main 2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
Maybe it needed an oversized seal and sleeve on the crank or they didnt install it dry.

Last edited:
Why would it leak worse all of a sudden the day I get the clutch and rear main done? Am I that unlucky?

Sorry, I was responding to cumminspa75. I thought the rear main would only leak thru the slot hole in the bell housing no?

Last edited:
It wouldn't be the first rear main seal I knew that leaked after being replaced. I just replaced mine and it leaks worse now haha.

Sorry, I was responding to cumminspa75. I thought the rear main would only leak thru the slot hole in the bell housing no?

Oil will leak anywhere, everywhere, and any which way it wants. Your best bet is to take it back to the shop that did the work and see what they want to do make it right.

It wouldn't be the first rear main seal I knew that leaked after being replaced. I just replaced mine and it leaks worse now haha.

Thanks for the quick responses, I may have caused some confusion by posting in between others. What I'm wanting to know is whether or not a leaking rear main can leak down the front of the bell housing and get the oil pan wet as well, or will it only come thru the slot where the flywheel can be seen.

Thanks for the quick responses, I may have caused some confusion by posting in between others. What I'm wanting to know is whether or not a leaking rear main can leak down the front of the bell housing and get the oil pan wet as well, or will it only come thru the slot where the flywheel can be seen.

It will leak down as pictured above. A Cam seal will do the same, but the rear main is probably the culprit.

...they didn't install it dry.

or, it's the cam seal.

Who did the work? Were they familiar with the Cummins? Help me out here fellows, I can't remember what years had the square-cut rubber seal on the cam plug. If yours had one. and if they took the adapter plate off, they probably dropped the cam seal and didn't put it back.

Either way, it's got to come back out to fix it.

Oil will leak anywhere, everywhere, and any which way it wants. Your best bet is to take it back to the shop that did the work and see what they want to do make it right.

I'm doing that tomorrow. They are really cool too. Just want to see if it can be what I suspect.

or, it's the cam seal.

Who did the work? Were they familiar with the Cummins? Help me out here fellows, I can't remember what years had the square-cut rubber seal on the cam plug. If yours had one. and if they took the adapter plate off, they probably dropped the cam seal and didn't put it back.

So pulling the trans to do a clutch could damage the cam seal? Pardon my ignorance. I've always done my own clutch work till I saw the size of this monstrosity.

or, it's the cam seal.

That's only on the cr's, as far as I have seen.