Rear main leak?

So pulling the trans to do a clutch could damage the cam seal? Pardon my ignorance. I've always done my own clutch work till I saw the size of this monstrosity.

No, you don't pull the adapter plate off for a clutch job. You do have to pull the adapter plate off if you're changing the rear main seal.

And yes, they are very familiar with Cummins. A wait of like a week to get in. Everyone I know uses them exclusively. Nothing bad to say about them at all.

That's only on the cr's, as far as I have seen.

That's what I was thinking.

Bet they didn't install dry. They probably should've just left it alone unles it was leaking a LOT. I've never seen a rear main that didn't have a little oil around it and 9 out of 10 times the owner will look at it and want it replaced.

That's what I was thinking.

Bet they didn't install dry. They probably should've just left it alone unles it was leaking a LOT. I've never seen a rear main that didn't have a little oil around it and 9 out of 10 times the owner will look at it and want it replaced.

Hmmm. Interesting.
Loving the real time responses. You guys are great. Thanks for helping the needy.

The tool I'm talking about looks similar to the pump gear puller. It has studs that bolt to the crank, and uses a plate to press the seal in square. That's my problem with rear main seals, is trying to get them square. I've even tried using a shop press, but one side always pops out and the other goes in too far. I end up using a dial caliper to measure depth all the way around.

Here's the cheapest tool I've seen. I'm calling them now to try and order one. It's worth every penny IMO.
http://4x4tools.com/ts6000.html

The tool I'm talking about looks similar to the pump gear puller. It has studs that bolt to the crank, and uses a plate to press the seal in square. That's my problem with rear main seals, is trying to get them square. I've even tried using a shop press, but one side always pops out and the other goes in too far. I end up using a dial caliper to measure depth all the way around.

Here's the cheapest tool I've seen. I'm calling them now to try and order one. It's worth every penny IMO.
http://4x4tools.com/ts6000.html

The fel pro rear main seals come with the installer tool that guides it to the right depth. Idk about the cummins ones though.

Looks just like mine when it leaked. Make sure all of your pan bolts are tight because it could be leaking there. I replaced my rear main(twice.. make sure it's square) and my pan gasket and it no longer leaks

Took it to them this morning and they said it's their deal and will fix no questions asked. They said no cam seal on second gens, and that it was something that gets some sort of sealant on it when doing the rear main, but not the rear main itself if I understood correctly. Something to do with the adapter plate?

There is no need to pull adapter plate to do a rear main If they pulled adapter plate to do a rear main they dont know how to work on a cummins. I have done alot of rear mains on a 5.9 and never pulled the adapter plate, even on the bigger cummins like a N14 or ISX you do not pull adapter plate. They either nicked the seal installing it or did not get it in straight

They said it wasn't the rear main leaking, but some horseshoe shaped plate that was leaking. I dunno. They fixed it and all is well as of right now.

Im guessing they didn't get the rear main seal plate sealed if they removed it. It has a horseshoe shaped gasket.

You don't HAVE to pull the rear main cover plate, but if it goes in too deep or you have an issue, you can pull it off. Not a real big deal, sounds like they are taking care of it.