Rearend Choices-70-80- GM 14 Bolt?

Or we could start usining the 14b older brother the HO72
Nice thing about the HO72 is its got a third pinion bearing a load bolt and its a drop out style rear like a 9" but way beefier

This is the HO72 that me and still smokin put together for his puller

adams09003.jpg

13.jpg

7.jpg

This is the difference in pinion diameter between the 14 and HO the only drawback to the HO pinion is the coarse splines
100_7496.jpg

And heres the truck in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVqZH5rh-hk&feature=channel

BTW there is no way a 9" will ever live sled pulling

could not find an aftermarket Dana 80 axle, Dana 80 axles come with 2 different splines, 35 and 37, the gundrilled 9 inch axles go up to 40 spline. i bet they would hold up in sledpulling, but like everything else in the diesel world it takes time for it to catch on.

You probably weren't looking in the right places... Moser has them, but the place to look would be SCS, Haisley or Scheid. And I would put a stock 35 spline D80 axle against the best 40 spline 9" shaft... The shear diameter alone would make up for the stronger material. Then go with chromemoly or whatever they use for all the aftermarket D80 shafts and the 9" will never stand a chance!

I bet the 9" shafts cost less than the best D80 shafts though :Cheer:

Or we could start usining the 14b older brother the HO72
Nice thing about the HO72 is its got a third pinion bearing a load bolt and its a drop out style rear like a 9" but way beefier

This is the HO72 that me and still smokin put together for his puller

adams09003.jpg

13.jpg

7.jpg

This is the difference in pinion diameter between the 14 and HO the only drawback to the HO pinion is the coarse splines
100_7496.jpg

And heres the truck in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVqZH5rh-hk&feature=channel

BTW there is no way a 9" will ever live sled pulling

Thats a pretty neat axle! I've never even heard of the HO72... How do the axle shafts size/spline count compare to the 14 bolt or 80? I like the idea of the housing and axle tubes all being one piece also like the 9", some guys in the big leagues have had the weld in axle tubes spin free if they didn't add some welds on the tubes. Can't happen when its all one piece!

Another thought... How is the aftermarket support on the HO72? Gears, shafts, etc...

Thats one of the other bad things about the HO is there is virtualy no aftermarket support for gears so you gotta find good originals. I believe the axle shafts are a coarse 17 spline but.......................... alot of 14b parts will work in the HO72 like minispools then go get ya some good 14b shafts and trim a smidge of the ends and voila

If more people would start using them the aftermarket might open up for this axle

BTW these came in 49-72 GM trucks

stillsmokins housing is a 67 and the pig is a 51 I believe and it has 14b minispool and shafts

EDIT 1.5" shafts I think

You probably weren't looking in the right places... Moser has them, but the place to look would be SCS, Haisley or Scheid. And I would put a stock 35 spline D80 axle against the best 40 spline 9" shaft... The shear diameter alone would make up for the stronger material. Then go with chromemoly or whatever they use for all the aftermarket D80 shafts and the 9" will never stand a chance!

So, you would like to compare a stock material 35 spline 1.5" diameter D80 shaft to an aftermarket 40 spline 1.7" diameter 9" axle?

Seems dumb if you ask me.

Shaft strength and shaft diameter will not be the issue with a 9" based axle in my opinion.

Another vote for the GM 14BFF. Another option to consider is the AAM 11.50 from the '03 and newer Dodge 2500/3500. The aftermarket is really starting to come on strong with parts for those axles. Yukon Axle & Gear recently came out with a spool and 38 spline shafts for the AAM 11.50 axle. Tony Burkhard has been making spools and axleshafts for that axle for a couple years now and they have been holding up well. ARB recently released their air locker for that axle. Yukon also has the Grizzly Locker which is like a Detroit but doesn't have that "herky-jerky" motion and noise when going around corners like the Detroit is known for.

Scott

So, you would like to compare a stock material 35 spline 1.5" diameter D80 shaft to an aftermarket 40 spline 1.7" diameter 9" axle?

Shaft strength and shaft diameter will not be the issue with a 9" based axle in my opinion.

I didn't think the 9" had shafts that size... I learn something new every day! But then again, I don't drag race, so I never looked into building one :Cheer:

after seeing the abuse that gundrilled 300M alloy axles can take and how well they are made they hold up way better than people think.

Details Timebomb!!!
What did you have to do exactly.
Yoke, perch etc.
KO

after seeing the abuse that gundrilled 300M alloy axles can take and how well they are made they hold up way better than people think.

300M! Thats the alloy I couldn't think of... I know CTM makes there $2-300 U-joints out of it, but would it be too hard for axle shafts? A little flex isn't always a bad thing.

ok maybe just one LOL LOL LOL

this is a pic of a dana 80 pinion (left) and 14 bolt, 10.5" ring gear (right). they are almost the same size. cant remember the spline size, but they are so close that you cant fit one yoke on the other, eather way. the 14 bolt also has three bearings on the pinion. the third is on the other end of the pinion gear like a ford 9". and also like the 9" the pinion of the 14 is lower on the ring gear so it has more contact area. the 14 uses 1.5" 31 spline shafts on a 45* cut. the 80 uses 35 spline (1.5") and 37 spline (1.580") shafts on a 30* spline cut. both can be upgraded if ya want to spend the cash.

DANA80STUFF006.jpg

yeah dude no problem.
i think the 14 bolt is a pretty stout axle. parts are all over the place and there is loads of aftermarket stuff for them. and ya just cant bet them for the price. just my $.02

Kinda pointless to put in axles that are stronger than the ring gear. I dont know about you I wouldnt want my weak link being my ring gear.

14 bolt The Bomb Since 2001 !! Hasnt broken yet, this run netted 793hp (Note custom PVC Smoke tube)

l_852e7df6b1590c97b0b0f0614e6450d5.jpg

What gears are you running? Any problems with the swap? Im wanting to do this soon.

IF you stay in a similar type of spline(course/fine) spline count is pretty much proportional to diameter.

30 spline 1.3 IIRC
35 spline 1.5
37 spline 1.625
etc.

Thats one of the other bad things about the HO is there is virtualy no aftermarket support for gears so you gotta find good originals. I believe the axle shafts are a coarse 17 spline but.......................... alot of 14b parts will work in the HO72 like minispools then go get ya some good 14b shafts and trim a smidge of the ends and voila

If more people would start using them the aftermarket might open up for this axle

BTW these came in 49-72 GM trucks

stillsmokins housing is a 67 and the pig is a 51 I believe and it has 14b minispool and shafts

EDIT 1.5" shafts I think

You can save a little money over buying a spool by just installing 14b axle gears to use the 14b axles then get the welder out and you got a lincoln locker.
There are the HO 52 and HO 72 which gets its name from the # rating (5200 & 7200). They are the same (gears) but the brakes are smaller on the HO 52.
Both was made with and without the ring gear snubber. Choices on gears was 4.10, 4.56, 5.13. Have been told there was a HO 110 which was a 11,000# axle but i think it only came with 6.17 gears.

The HO52 did not have a load bolt

Yes you are correct about the 110, I believe a select few of these made it into 1ton trucks also

Back