Rebirth of Monster Mudder

Washed the truck yesterday then pulled it into the shop after it dried some. Drained the fluid, it wasn't dark but had a hot smell to it. Dropped the pan and there wasn't much residue in the bottom of the pan. So the plan is to reverse the mod to the VB, put the pan back on and fill back up with new fluid and test tonight and see how the transmission feels. We have another VB for a later model 47re on the way and we will swap out my full manual kit to it to get 2nd gear lockup to work. Will know tonight if I'm pulling the whole transmission or not.

Took the wife to see her fav band last night In This Moment. Damn Maria Brink is hot. Had 3 opening bands, Sunflower Dead - they were ok, but not great. Shamans harvest - we really liked them, nice southern rock / blues sound. I'd hear one of their songs on the radio but didn't know who they were till last night. 3rd band was Nonpoint. They were OK and had heard some of their music on the radio as well. Maria stole the show though. Got home around 1am and was up to head for work at 6:15. Going to be a long day today.

I know it's not fun, but it also not extremely hard to do, but why wouldn't you try putting in the stock valve body you're getting to see if everything works well, then modify it? You wouldn't have lockup in 2nd, but your ratchet shifter would still work, and it sounds like it'd help you iron out some issues quicker.

Also, I'm pretty sure the late 47re's had a different wiring harness and pressure transducer that you might have to swap over from your current unit. Just a heads up.

The change we made to the VB is easily backed out, which will take me less than 10 minutes tonight, and will test it to see if I'm back to where I was before the mod. If the trans isn't like it was friday afternoon, I'm pulling the trans and going through it all. We may test with the VB coming in as is first, will have to see what time is. I have another race I would like to make this saturday.

I'm using latching circuits I built out of relays to switch the ground signal to the transmission. I have a momentary switch on my shifter stand for lockup that triggers the latching circuit, it is then routed through a toggle switch on my dash (those 2 red switches) so I can quickly disable lockup and OD at the end of the run. And is then routed down to the trans. The two led's on the dash signify that the latch circuit is providing a ground signal. I've tested the latching circuits out with my meter and ensured I'm getting a good ground coming from it.

Tonight after getting home from work, made the change to revert the VB back to how we had it before friday night, put the pan back on and filled up with new fluid. Started the truck and backed it out of the shop, could already tell it wasn't any better. So I pulled it back into the shop (in 4x4 low) because it was slipping so bad.

Spent the rest of the evening pulling the transmission and breaking it down and inspecting it. Think I found the culprit. The brand new billet accumulator is stuck in the bore. I believe that will explain the issue. Checked all the seals and apply pistons and couldn't find any cut seals.

Going to see if I can get the forward clutch pack tomorrow at lester's gear and start back together with the trans tomorrow night. New vb should hopefully be in Weds.

28938643631_dcd99a8b66_b.jpg

28728596150_88531caf71_b.jpg

28397878913_781a8fd04d_b.jpg

28982352186_fbabc87f4a_b.jpg

Pulled the accumulator out, didn't want to come easily. It's garbage. There is a rough spot now on the inner bore. Think I can get it smoothed out without having to sleeve it.

I have the clutches, steels and new accumulator getting in tomorrow for me to pickup.

28921325732_9976347888_b.jpg

I checked all the bores with my finger for any damage before I assembled the trans and there wasn't any rough spots. So not sure how it happened.

The rough spot is right on the lip of the inner bore.

Parts for the truck should be in tomorrow for me to pickup around noon at WIT trans. While waiting on them, tonight, I cleaned up the little burr on the accumulator small bore and then started reassembling the transmission. Got the OD section fully put together and sitting on the bench ready to bolt back on. The Direct drum was cleaned and reassembled and the intermediate section is cleaned and back in the case. Installed both servos into the case.

28960003941_9a6ef66458_b.jpg

28960004141_4b3a92b540_b.jpg

28418404373_5683765d78_b.jpg

Transmission is back together with my VB, the other one hasn't come in yet, so now that the accumulator isn't broke, going to try the change out again and if it doesn't work, will just run the truck with lockup in 3rd gear.

Almost have everything back bolted up, just need to top off the transfer case, add about 2 gallons of oil to the trans, bolt the front loop / u joint shield up, adjust the drive line speed sensor for the right gap and I think it will be ready to test.

Boy, that tranny build has been a fight, hopefully the lockup tranny will net big gains at the mud pits and it'll all be worth it in the long run.

Those Alto Red clutches seem to have a higher coefficient of friction than the GPZ's but once they slip, they quickly burn and glaze so they are a catch 22. The GPZ's seem to handle slippage much better but then the steels warp and take out the clutch anyway. The best fix is to prevent the slippage. The forward clutch rarely burns up, even on stock trucks so be sure to double check the lip seals, inspect the input shaft to make sure you didn't miss the white steel sealing ring, and make sure the belleville spring, cushion spacer, and waved snap ring is installed correctly per the manual, otherwise you'll likely burn up that clutch again. When everything is working properly, the only time we see burning and failure in that clutch is too low of line pressure allow for slippage when staging against the converter/boosted launches. Tying the TV lever to the full throttle position helps tremendously with increasing line pressure when staging against the converter.

Yep, wouldn't be my build if everything went smoothly....

I'm hoping everything works great today when I get home from work and finish the install. I double checked all of the lip seals when I took it apart and putting it back together. I also checked all the sealing rings to make sure they were in good shape as well. Don't believe I missed a seal on the input, but it's already together in the truck so I can't check it again.

I plan on setting the TV lever to full throttle as I finish up the install.

Belleville spring, cushion spacer and waved snap ring are all in correctly.

Should know within 2 hours after I get home today if it works.

Finished getting the truck back together after work today and went to move the truck and it wouldn't move. No forward or backwards... Well, found it was atleast 3 quarts low on fluid so fixed that issue but it still didn't want to move, found the front right caliper was frozen, so had my son pick up a caliper on his way home from work. Swapped out the caliper and went for a test drive. Seems to be working, but felt like it was real delayed on the shifts, not crisp like I think it should be when I shift.

It's as ready as I can make it, tomorrow will tell how it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9AsR3nz5g

Fuel pressure vs rpm
28993887652_ed22c11047_b.jpg

Boost vs rpm
28993885622_55020482f5_b.jpg

Driveline vs rpm
29098855975_3e2f245e52_b.jpg

I'm really starting to hate transmissions.... Just saying.

Went to back the truck out of the shop yesterday morning to wash it, nothing. Would go forward but wouldn't backup. Drained the fluid, dropped the pan and adjusted the rear band again. Still nothing. Pulled it out of the shop and made a little test run with it, shifted fine going forward, so washed it and loaded it up.

Made one pass and toasted the trans again.

Ran my daughters truck in my other 2 classes just to get a few points in them.

Washed the truck today and tore it apart and then broke down the trans. Had the trans out in under 2 hours, getting faster.....

Forward clutches were welded together, the big lip seal was blown, it was good when I checked it a few days ago. pump gear doesn't look good, it was brand new. Direct steels have hot spots on them. Both bands look good still. Had to drill holes in the sun shell to help get the forward section apart.

I'm ordered a new full manual constant pressure vb, as I think the majority of my issues have been the VB, will get new parts for the rest this week and hopefully get it all back together to race in Tulsa this weekend.

Video of the run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJKEjwuzZKk

29110746836_c2f8e59b4a_b.jpg

28525032383_1b8b5d8569_b.jpg

29110741016_1d4a2f5824_b.jpg

28525028353_fdf5aed393_b.jpg

28856411210_39187d190f_b.jpg

29110732656_0e5e07f07a_b.jpg

29110732096_1b583236ed_b.jpg

28856408430_61cf248c04_b.jpg

29110727476_e92c1ba295_b.jpg

28856404530_ca20e4fab6_b.jpg

29066133461_bfa98220f5_b.jpg

RPM vs Driveline speed
29038265682_3e2f97f8cf_b.jpg

RPM vs Fuel Pressure
29066160401_4c18ab6daf_b.jpg

RPM vs Boost
28856425160_14517c4893_b.jpg

That's a bad day. Did you kill it on the video because you knew you were roasting the trans?

Back