Red or blue alto clutches for a race only truck ?

moparcars1

What are you guys running or what do you like ? The trans is in my drag truck and is used for racing only no street time. Only 600 hp now but it's is gonna be about 800 hp. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Raybestos high energy over red altos all day.

Stock Borg warner clutches work better than one might expect. It's all in the setup.

A builder was telling me that high line pressure will "collapse" stock clutches, in other words it smashes the clutches so hard the clutch material flakes off eventually. Not sure how true this is but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Im running stock clutches in my truck and im roughly 600 hp also (manual vb probably keeps them alive longer)

A builder was telling me that high line pressure will "collapse" stock clutches, in other words it smashes the clutches so hard the clutch material flakes off eventually. Not sure how true this is but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Im running stock clutches in my truck and im roughly 600 hp also (manual vb probably keeps them alive longer)

I would probably ask how many times he has seen that. Maybe he saw it once or twice and something else was going on, but he assumed it was the stockers.

All of mine that I do, I use stock clutches, unless someone insists on an extra clutch.

Last edited:
ive ran blue plates in my tranny since rebuild. I street drive and race the truck. no complaints here. been almost twi years now no issues

Stock clutches, steels, bands will hold whatever you want as long as vb is right. Thats the piece most builders dont get right. So they try to compensate with more expensve parts elsewhere.

Red Altos, and Kolene Steels here, with Rebestos bands, two years of sheer torture with no issues. But one hell of a VB. I will agree with whats been said about the VB being key.

So Does Anybody Care To Elaborate On The Valve Body Of Choice. Not Trying To Get Somebodys Top Secret Info Because I Do Not Care Im A Manual Puller Guy But, Just Curious To See Bein Ive Heard Lots Of Different Opinions On This In The Past.

I have an ultimate VB with a full billet trans. It was warranteed the last 3 times it was sent back all because of the valve body timing being off (thats what I was told) and junked all sets of clutches until they finally went through the valve body and found the issue. Everytime it had red altos put in and they didn't last more than an hour of driving each time. Switching to garmon in the spring because of nothing but great reviews for his valvebodies.

Just an update. I went with all the stock components that most everyone suggested. Thank you all very much for the input it saved me some spending unneesacary money.

Anybody using the raybestos gpz100's?

I've only found those for the OD brake pack, I order them 100 at a time and they come in cheaper then stock Borg-Warners... I drill the stock steels, and stack 6 disc packs for the bigger builds. So far they've held up to the same abuse as the Alto 7 disc power pack for less then half the money.

If you have a line on them for the forward clutches let me know, I personally like the idea of a semimetalic friction material better then paper :poke:

Stock clutches, steels, bands will hold whatever you want as long as vb is right. Thats the piece most builders dont get right. So they try to compensate with more expensve parts elsewhere.

Just curious so I'm understanding you correctly.....are you saying stock counts on clutches and steels also? :what: