Replacement dash

How bad is it installing the Lmc? How long did it take?

My truck is still at the transmission shop so I haven't had a chance to install the new dash yet. The old one came out in pieces so it was cake. Putting it back in looks like it will be a different story.

I just replaced my dash with a good factory used dash. Actually I had it in and back out twice, it's really not hard, just time consuming and the screws that hold in the air ducts underneath can be challenging. If you're patient you'll be fine.

just time consuming and the screws that hold in the air ducts underneath can be challenging. If you're patient you'll be fine.

Amen to that! I put a replacement from the junk yard into my wife's '02 1500 and it takes some patience. One thing I did that made it a little easier was to cut the tabs off the air vent screws as I was taking it out (so that I didn't have to unscrew everything). I have a little air powered hacksaw that I used. This saved me from trying to get each screw out of the old one. The new one went in a lot easier than the old one came out. Just remember what order you take everything out, I followed a Haynes book and it gives you pretty good step by step instructions.

Just curious if anyone knows why these dashes are so prone to cracking? I was happy that my 02 didn't have a crack in it untill I looked near the VIN the other day and noticed it's all busted up....made me sick to see it. And FWIW my truck stays in the garage, and when it's parked somewhere, I use sun visors....I have also used armorall on the dash as well.....I don't think I could have done anything to prevent this.

It's come just because of the kind of plastic they use i guess... After many years of getting hot and cold over and over again they just get hard and brittle.

Mine started cracking after i used armor oil.... So the lmc one comes painted?

Two trucks here and neither one with cracked dashes 1996 Dodge and a 2002 Dodge. Also use Armor-all on both truck no issues. Even with 110-115*F summer temps of Riggins, ID.

But when the day comes and it does crack I'll be doing a LMC dash most likely.

Last edited:
Previous owner of my truck installed a Geno's garage dash years ago apparently and it still looks great now. Two other of my buddies also have the Geno's dash in there truck and both have had them for 6 plus years and they still look good with no issues. $.02

I used one from LMC truck on my 98 and it fit perfectly

LMC dash has the best fitment I've seen. I wonder how really durable the plastic is on one seeing as there are some pretty solid claims on the Geno's dash. I lucked out getting a brand new one in a 98 12v I just picked up that's getting stripped out for drag racing anyway.

LMC gets my vote as well. ive installed several. no complaints.

Just curious if anyone knows why these dashes are so prone to cracking? I was happy that my 02 didn't have a crack in it untill I looked near the VIN the other day and noticed it's all busted up....made me sick to see it. And FWIW my truck stays in the garage, and when it's parked somewhere, I use sun visors....I have also used armorall on the dash as well.....I don't think I could have done anything to prevent this.

My 01' has a cracked one now, it has spent most of it's life in a garage but still cracked when I started driving it recently, I was told it was from age and rough riding.....it has less than 30K on the clock.

Looks like I'll get to do the LMC replacement, it should be as fun as chewing glass.

Jim

The story I find most believable on why these dashes crack is the plastic was not formulated correctly. Not enough UV stabilizer allows the sun to leach the oils out of it making it brittle. I have a LMC unit waiting for this weekend to go in, along with a heater and evaporator core. I'm soooooo looking forward to it LOL

I'll be replacing mine next week with an LMC unit. Do they offer a discount code or a shipping coupon?

Also, how long can I expect this to take? Flat rate says 7 hours. It's just the dash top, right? I may be missing something, but it doesn't look like that big a job for just the top.

The story I find most believable on why these dashes crack is the plastic was not formulated correctly. Not enough UV stabilizer allows the sun to leach the oils out of it making it brittle....
Looking at them, I'd have to agree.
However, I do find fewer cracked/broken dashes that APPEAR to have never had armor all on them.
Armor all is detrimental, it actually draws away the oils and stabilizers in plastics, sure it LOOKS good when it's on there, but, IMO, it actually adds nothing in the way of protection.

As far as removing the dash tops, I can have one out of the truck in about 45 minutes to an hour. :D
Yeah, I've wasted a lot of time pulling them, so much so that I have a routine down. LOL

Several I have pulled weren't cracked when I started, but I heard a small "snap" and they ALL cracked at the vents.
That area is where it all starts, because it's the thinnest area and has the most direct sunlight.
FWIW, usually the pre-1998 dashes lasted a lot longer.
I will add that I have only ever seen one early RED one survive and all of the early BLUE ones are garbage by now.

Mark.

Any tips or tricks you would care to share? I was going to do mine this weekend but some other things came up to prevent it. If you would care to write up a small "How to", I'll pin it up top and make you famous!!