Replacing 5.9 block with 6.7

Someone has to have pics, measurements and info on that if it's true. The guys running a 5.9 head on a 6.7 block haven't mentioned any top end oiling issues ?

This was over 3 years ago, and that is why my memory is foggy.

A 24V VP head gasket would work on a 6.7. If I remember the 24V and the 6.7 head gasket would cover the oiling holes on the 5.9 CR. The block and head holes don't line up, the head gasket creates a galley that connects them. Not to say that the head gasket couldn't be modified to fit.

Someone has to have pics, measurements and info on that if it's true. The guys running a 5.9 head on a 6.7 block haven't mentioned any top end oiling issues ?

The one I'm refering too is at Garmons now. Call Jeff and ask him about the issue...

I just took a glance... Not really investigating the HG vs. the Head/Block.

If Jeff has any info you wanna post David, feel free. This is a good spot for specific things like that.

This was over 3 years ago, and that is why my memory is foggy.

A 24V VP head gasket would work on a 6.7. If I remember the 24V and the 6.7 head gasket would cover the oiling holes on the 5.9 CR. The block and head holes don't line up, the head gasket creates a galley that connects them. Not to say that the head gasket couldn't be modified to fit.

That's funny, because I've used a 24v gasket on my 04 and the only difference is 2-3 coolant passages needed enlarged on the vp gasket to match the mls.

That's funny, because I've used a 24v gasket on my 04 and the only difference is 2-3 coolant passages needed enlarged on the vp gasket to match the mls.

That is weird, the 24V VP gasket I had was from a 99 or 98. I guess they could have changed the newer VP gaskets to make the oil path longer?

I just know because at the time we were discussing a 6.7 swap, and was comparing things. It was intriguing to us why the 99 ish head would work on the 6.7, but the 5.9 cr head we had would have issues.

I think I still have the 99 gasket in the garage, I might compare it to some stuff I have laying around.

Speaking from experience I never had any issues with oil or cooling to the head. Again I used a 6.7 MLS gasket in both my builds no mods to the gasket either. Building a third 6.7 for another truck of mine right now.

Speaking from experience I never had any issues with oil or cooling to the head. Again I used a 6.7 MLS gasket in both my builds no mods to the gasket either. Building a third 6.7 for another truck of mine right now.

See I can't remember if the gasket covered the head oiling or the block oiling.

Which head did you use? 5.9 CR or 6.7?

Hell...I was asked to reopen this...didn't realize it's my own thread. LOL

I was wondering if anyone ever found out the differences between the oiling passages between the block and the head on a 6.7 vs a 5.9. I dug up some pictures to try and compare them and it looks as though the oil passages in the head are the same on the 5.9 and the 6.7. First pic is a 6.7 and second is a 5.9.

Attachments

• 67-1.jpg
    67-1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
I also would like to know. I have a late 04 with alot of blow by, and a quick 6.7 short block swap would be really nice!

Shouldn't be any issues with oiling with any of the head gaskets or heads. I just put a 6.7 together with a 12 valve head and a vp head gasket. No oiling issues

Oiling holes are the same. Only difference I'm aware of is the 6.7 block has steam holes. Just throw the head on and don't worry about blocking the steam holes. (Just what I've read before)

You can use a 5.9 head gasket on a 6.7 block?? I thought the pistons were too big for the 5.9 gasket!

Back