Reviving a Lost Build: Finishing what Laramie4x4 started

Carrillos are the most popular Id say, mainly because of price. And they are plenty strong. Your not gonna overpower them.

Main thing to keep in mind on the engine build, you dont need all the exotic stuff out there. The fastest trucks in diesel motorsports are pretty basic when it comes to the engine.

Thanks Ashley, I will be getting ahold of you soon to talk about this engine.

The truck already comes with a B&B side draft intake, so obviously that's going on the head.

I really just want to do this engine right once and not have to mess with it. I am not going to "cheap" out on anything

I am running r&r rods in my 6.7 this year. They are supposed to be very strong. I am no drag racer but I spin this motor pretty hard.

IMG_20130530_160109_982_zps889e2642.jpg

IMG_20130530_162853_791_zps21f6f1fc.jpg

IMG_20130530_160153_917_zps47d54440.jpg

R&R makes the best rod on the market IMO Carrillo for the cheaper builds and R&R for the high end high power builds. but there is so much more than just your rod choice in a Engine build..

Last edited:
R&R makes the best rod on the market IMO Carrillo for the cheaper builds and R&R for the high end high power builds. but there is so much more than just your rod choice in a Engine build..

I see you did state "IMO" but besides the fact that they sponsor you why are they the high end power builds? I wouldn't associate Carrillos with the word cheap.
Just wanted to see if you have anything, facts, #s, something that would lead you to believe R&R are the best?

I would like to hear as well. I have looked pretty hard for a failed carrillo but havent found any. For one to be better, then both would have to fail enough to decide which is superior and why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Carillo is one of the BEST and longest running rod companies there is.

Don't knock something just because you lack knowledge.

My comment was not a knock at all, i said what i meant to...the cheaper builds...(Cost wise) get carrillo's because they cost less.

The higher end builds get the R&R' because they cost more....

Now just a FYI the best builders in the country happen to use R&R in there best builds as well....Not just for a price point, they happen to be a better rod IMO

My comment was not a knock at all, i said what i meant to...the cheaper builds...(Cost wise) get carrillo's because they cost less.

Now just a FYI the best builders in the country happen to use R&R in there best builds as well....Not just for a price point, they happen to be a better rod IMO

Interesting since R&R just did a redesign this last winter since they were having issues with cap movement.

Carrillos are the most popular Id say, mainly because of price. And they are plenty strong. Your not gonna overpower them.

Main thing to keep in mind on the engine build, you dont need all the exotic stuff out there. The fastest trucks in diesel motorsports are pretty basic when it comes to the engine.

Care to go in to more detail? What is basic about these engines. Heads, cams, port jobs.

Interesting since R&R just did a redesign this last winter since they were having issues with cap movement.

Caps only move due to stress from too much recipricating weight...and RPM. Lessen one or the other problem goes away...

Every rods will have the same issue if the problem isent corrected.

R&R's redesign came from a need to LIGHTEN the rod in the wristpin and beam area, to lessen recipricating weight.

This is exactly why 5-6 years ago we designed light weight pins, rings sets and pistons to handle more RPM and Power with out overstressing the rods,crank and block...

Last edited:
Decntly priced builds here get carrillos or R&R, after that we go to a higher end rod and our light weight wrist pins & pistons. Nothing wrong with the Carrillos or R&R's, both a great rod.

Yeah but they cost more, which is apparently the deciding factor at Wade Wade Wade Inc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

being more expensive makes R&R's better?? :clap: :what:

stick to your fb arguments with sparkle pants, you ain't 'bout this life

It wasnt taken a a knock. But Im still curious as to why one would assume one rod is better than another. Im unbiased as Im a dealer for any of the rods. But I would need to see some real world reasons to go with a more expensive one when the less expensive one never fails.

Care to go in to more detail? What is basic about these engines. Heads, cams, port jobs.

None of the big power guys are gonna give up all the details of their race engines. But I can tell you that some of the fastest trucks in pro street have a LOT of stock parts in them. Like our engine, it has stock crank, stock head gasket, stock piston and rings, etc. Up until we ran 9.80s, it had a stock head and camshaft. Up until the first of the year, we ran stock main bolts and girdle, as well as stock leaf spring suspesion We still only have 12mm studs and the small girdle. Id still be running stock bolts if the girdle wasnt a deal. Ingenuity will always outweigh a big checkbook. Unless you have both of course. Lol

It wasnt taken a a knock. But Im still curious as to why one would assume one rod is better than another. Im unbiased as Im a dealer for any of the rods. But I would need to see some real world reasons to go with a more expensive one when the less expensive one never fails.

No assumtions here. I KNOW Many have wadded up carrilos and gone to R&R and problem solved...If my experience dont lead you to see the reasons, then just ask schied and haisleys, enterprise,and many others why they wont use carrillo's

Main reason is material difference and strength to weight difference.

R&R's are heavyer in the beam area (stronger) this is where 90% of rods failures happen.

There is a lot more to being a engine builder than just having the ability to re-assemble engines. Knowing as much as you can about everything involved, even slight differences can set you apart from the rest.

Last edited:
Do any of the rods mentioned come with rod bolts?

Sent from my fphone