Rocker arm issue

Diesel92

I have just recently notice that I can see my valve covers kind of moving back and forth. So I pull the first valve cover off and watch the first pedestal while it's running and it is rocking back and forth. Valve train wise it is Hamilton 188/220 cam Hamilton push rods and 165 bee hive springs. Arp head studs.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that would mean a head stud is loose.

I've seen a little flex out of a rocker stand with high lift cams, but it really shouldn't be real visible to the naked eye. Make sure the head stud is tight and maybe even remove it and make sure that someone hadn't smashed the dowel. I made a "girdle" with a stud for each valve cover. Not sure if it really helped or not but It didn't hurt

I was thinking that too. I was just wondering if I needed to add a girdle or what's up. and I just don't have my good torque wrench here. so I was just seeing what other people's experience was with these heavy springs were, till I make it to my work tomorrow.

It doesn't "need" a girdle. The pedestal shouldn't move regardless. The girdle helps with deflection and such and certainly won't hurt anything but not needed, no.

Well I checked the studs and re torqued every one and they were all tight and there still doing it. Should I check the torque with the engine hot? Up the torque maybe I'm at 130 now

If I'm still understanding you correctly... what you're telling me is impossible. Something is wrong.

Sounds like the rocker stands aren't seated on the head properly. When seated properly there's no way the stands can move imho.

It's moving when the valve is pressed. Like deflection but it's viisebul. Especially with the valve cover on the whole cover moves.

Sounds like the rocker stands aren't seated on the head properly. When seated properly there's no way the stands can move imho.

As long as the studs tight as well I agree.

As long as the studs tight as well I agree.

That and I went back to reread where he installed ARP headstuds. I believe the rocker stand needs to be milled to make clearance with valve covers. No way valve cover should move. Unseated and unmilled are my thoughts.

I wondered about them not being milled... but I was throwing it out hopping that no one did that. Lol

They are milled and they are seated correctly I assure you. Now I'm not talking there moving back and forth like a 1/4 in. But it's enough to notice with just watching the pedestal. And when you put the valve cover on its a little more noticeable. And it's not just one it's most of them? I'm familiar with engines especially diesels it's what I do for a living. But I don't have a lot experience with these heavy valve springs. so that's why I wanted to see if I could get some knowledge form someone Who does. I appreciate your thoughts and help though. I guess my first post should have been more detailed hah.

Something is too tall. You think those valve covers won't leak oil.

Did you take the pedestals off and check to make sure something somehow got cracked?
And that there's no gritty dirt getting crushed between the head and pedestal?