running out of fuel?? Lift pump?

The idle and high RPM fuel pressure checks (in neutral) check the overflow valve, the WOT runs check the lift pump, mine will hold 15 psi at WOT at it's current power level if 625-650.

Jim

The idle and high RPM fuel pressure checks (in neutral) check the overflow valve, the WOT runs check the lift pump, mine will hold 15 psi at WOT at it's current power level if 625-650.

Jim

At any RPM above idle it drops to 0 psi. At idle it will rise to aout 25 psi. If you pinch the return it will go to about 60psi and maintain that at WOT. It almost has to be the fuel filter i'm thinking. I tried stretching the OFV spring, then i tried a new OFV, then i tried the bic-pen spring trick and no results with any of them.

I am about ready to give up on this D*mn thing... I've done everything mentioned in this thread including
-New OFV
-Click Pen Spring in the OFV Spring
-New Fuel Filter
-Verified the solenoid is working

Any more ideas?? I need you guys' help on this.... i'm confused as hell.

Also, My #1 DV holder is wet i noticed. I've had to time this thing a few times so i think the 0-ring on the holder may be wore out. Could ther be anything related to this causing my problem?
I drove it up a long hill last night, after the fuel fulter, and about 3/4 of the way up the truck started sputtering and running on what sounded like 1 cylinder (this was about 1/2 throttle). I let off and it slowly came back and i was able to drive all the way home without any other problems.

also wanted to add that it started doing this after i pulled the pump to fix the tappet cover.

id quit driving it until you get it figured out, otherwise you're going to cause more damage.

Garrett

Did you clean the prescreen and fuel heater? My 95's prescreen was full of large gravel. How it sucked gravel that large through the stock fuel lines is beyond me.

Well i finally figured it out a few weeks ago! Thanks again for the help guys. I ended replacing the lift pump with a relatively new one off a buddy's truck to see if that was the problem..... NOPE!! Put my lift pump back on and decided to blow the fuel lines out from the lift pump back to the tank. VOILA!! Problem solved, Idles at 35-40 PSI like it used to. Now i need to drop the tank and get it cleaned out.

I can't believe i didn't think of that first.:bang It was too simple I guess?! Oh well... now I have a clean fuel filter, fresh new OFV, and I know my lift pump is good!

Last edited:
We got our shop truck fixed too.
I'm not a pump guy so we had to take it to a shop....they said the rack was sticking and that's what was causing the bogging/dying while driving down the road.
They took the pump off and rebuilt it.

Glad u got urs fixed too.

We got our shop truck fixed too.
I'm not a pump guy so we had to take it to a shop....they said the rack was sticking and that's what was causing the bogging/dying while driving down the road.
They took the pump off and rebuilt it.

Glad u got urs fixed too.

Good To Hear!! Yeah i'm pretty happy to be alble to "use" the truck now.

Back