Ryan/Banks Super-Turbo Freightliner

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Pretty cool setup, saw it today! 8.3L Whipple into a 110mm turbo! 14.7L Detroit. Pretty fast for 10,000 pounds. Awesome response with the blower too. Anyways....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dyhDF3pjLk"]Banks/Ryan Super-Turbo Semi - YouTube[/ame]

How is that "ram air" when its pointing to the side and has 3 tiny filters over the scoop?

That is badass.... Don't care who you are. The blower noise would get old, though.

Sarcasm brought to you by Tapatalk

But I would take vacation to daily drive that around.

He actually drove it to the speedway from the shop, a few miles away! No plates, no nothin. Said however loud you think the blower is from the outside, it's 10x worse inside. Ear plugs required.

All I can think of is that Tormentor fellow screaming that blower into turbo into engine would never work. LOL

Always been a bad ass truck but that blower wine drove me crazy after about 30 seconds. I hope he wears ear plugs AND ear muffs to drown out as much of it as he can. Pike's Peak is a long run and that blower would probably ruin your hearing.

All I can think of is that Tormentor fellow screaming that blower into turbo into engine would never work. LOL

It's actually pretty cool...I think they said with a blower that large, they could make almost 30psi at idle. BUT, the big blowers (even screws) cost a bunch of power to drive at high boost levels...I know a top fueler 14-71 takes almost 800hp to drive. With this setup, the turbo takes over for the most part at high rpm, and the blower can be left as a slight air multiplier, with the more efficinet turbo doing most of the compressing.

Not that most people other than Gale care, but the blower also helps with low-end smoke a ton.

(Crazy) Carl's set up is a little more interesting (whipple into S364/S480 with a bypass to allow the 80 to pull air when the whipple can no longer keep up), seemed a little more bearable with the whine from his blower too... Sat with him for a few hours at TS, really cool guy.

Granted this thing is pretty awesome, a smaller blower with the bypass like Carl had would have sufficed and probably been less deafening :poke:

Last edited:
I wonder why they didn't use the ram air intake from the roof of the truck....... I can only assume it didn't flow enough air

Can't wait to hear how it runs up at pikes peak next weekend.

I don't quite understand it myself. If the Whipple moves enough air for the turbo, its moving enough for the engine and doesn't need the turbo. There is some piece of information I haven't come across yet.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

I don't quite understand it myself. If the Whipple moves enough air for the turbo, its moving enough for the engine and doesn't need the turbo. There is some piece of information I haven't come across yet.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

1.Blowers are very inefficient at high boost levels
2.And also take a lot of hp to drive at high boost
3.Turbo's don't, but have nothing off-idle.

1.Blowers are very inefficient at high boost levels
2.And also take a lot of hp to drive at high boost
3.Turbo's don't, but have nothing off-idle.

my question is the whipple bigger then the turbo?
or is there a bypass for the whipple?

Back