Ryan/Banks Super-Turbo Freightliner

Also noticed that when gale sets a record, its in a class that doesnt have any competition.
I totally understand why he does it, but its kinda the big fish/small pond scenario, like hiring hulk hogan to win your neighborhood wrestling title.

Banks has held the WORLD record for the fastest diesel pickup for eleven years. Kinda hard to find a bigger pond than the entire planet.
Banks also held the WORLD record for the fastest stock bodied automobile for about ten years from the mid eights to the mid nineties...... I would hardly consider that a class without any competition.

So tell me, do you think Banks' diesel truck record has stood for eleven years because because everybody in diesel motorsports is just too damn lazy to drive down to Utah and beat it..... or is it because the bar is set pretty high and would take quite an effort to beat it?

Last edited:
I wouldnt say effort, but at least as much cash, which few people have hanging around.
they set a record (as usual) in a class that had virtually no one in it, and definitely no one who had 1/4 of the budget that was spent setting that record.
Since you brought it up, how many companies or people have even tried to set land speed records in diesel pick-ups?
I DO applaud the fact that they have the means to build a purpose vehicle and get it done, but the simple fact that they DONT hold a street driven truck record, or race more than exhibition runs simply to set a record, says a lot.
Do they plan to race Wade now that he has crushed their one-time record consistently all season, race after race??
Oddly, I've NEVER seen a truck decked out in banks stuff win an event! Its possible I dont pay close enough attention? Maybe it happens all the time? Just saying I've never seen it happen.
What ever happened to that road racing truck that never ran?
Diesels have won lemans a couple times now, wheres banks there? Prolly be tough to compete with audi, must be some easier titles to win out there.

Last edited:
Banks has held the WORLD record for the fastest diesel pickup for eleven years. Kinda hard to find a bigger pond than the entire planet.
Banks also held the WORLD record for the fastest stock bodied automobile for about ten years from the mid eights to the mid nineties...... I would hardly consider that a class without any competition.

So tell me, do you think Banks' diesel truck record has stood for eleven years because because everybody in diesel motorsports is just too damn lazy to drive down to Utah and beat it..... or is it because the bar is set pretty high and would take quite an effort to beat it?

Are you meaning a Salt Flat vehicle or Pikes Peak vehicle? Just spent the weekend at Speed Week at Boneville Raceway with a 6.7 truck that set the SCTA record for fastest diesel truck and backed it up on Sunday morning. Granted Banks record wasn't SCTA sanctioned. But is still a record. Also the truck that set the record was a full factory bodied truck.

I would agree Banks really doesn't give a rats ass about diesel motorsports, just getting their records. My understanding is GB like records with absolutes like the fastest or quickest etc., not fastest or quickest with qualifiers like street truck or what ever.
And it really not true that Banks only picks classes with no or little competition. Banks 2011 & 2012 race efforts at pikes peak were in the UNLIMITED class with lots of stiff competition...... some of that competition included very high dollar factory backed cars.
I was surprised to see GBE let their record go without any effort to reclaim it. However.... Its pretty clear their claim(advertising) of being a big power tuner (from a few years back) got shot down pretty quick. Safe reliable power YES, race winning tunes... No So Much
I think their current claim as a leader in clean tunes for diesels is far more accurate/believable. So I guess they don't need the S-10 (and its record) to advertise that.

I so would like to hear the Banks supercharged rail run....I am curious as to how much it would sound like a blown gasser big block...... but with the Hypermax team crushing the ET record and the Sheid team pushing 220mph....... I doubt GB will ever let the rail out of the shop just to run and be a distant third. Just my wild ass guess.......

Are you meaning a Salt Flat vehicle or Pikes Peak vehicle? Just spent the weekend at Speed Week at Boneville Raceway with a 6.7 truck that set the SCTA record for fastest diesel truck and backed it up on Sunday morning. Granted Banks record wasn't SCTA sanctioned. But is still a record. Also the truck that set the record was a full factory bodied truck.

Yes referring to Bonneville
Very Cool :cool:
How fast did the 6.7 go? Did it beat Banks' international record is 217.314?

Last edited:
Was Banks diesel record in a streamliner type vehicle or true pickup? They may have been different classes. The 6.7L went 179mph Saturday and 176mph Sunday Morning. With the previous record being 167mph. But again this was a full bodied 08 Dodge Quad Cab Longbed, just lowered with susupension mods and cage. We hit a drive pressure wall with the compounds and couldn't get it to go faster than 179. Switching to a single charger today, hoping to run a taller gear and not hit the drive pressure wall again.

This was also on Track 3, the 3 mile track. Not the big 5 mile track. Truck kept flattening out due to drive pressure at the 2-1/4 mile mark. So there is a lot more left in the truck.

Would also like to add this is a street driven truck, that has actual license plates. Has a quick change rear-end, so he just switches gears and street drives it. Very clean running at that.

Last edited:
Banks 2011 & 2012 race efforts at pikes peak were in the UNLIMITED class with lots of stiff competition...... some of that competition included very high dollar factory backed cars.

No records there then?

I was surprised to see GBE let their record go without any effort to reclaim it. However.... Its pretty clear their claim(advertising) of being a big power tuner (from a few years back) got shot down pretty quick. Safe reliable power YES, race winning tunes... No So Much

It takes a LOT more effort to win against a challenger than a number. Now that the class has a couple people in it, it wouldnt be so easy to win anymore.

I so would like to hear the Banks supercharged rail run....I am curious as to how much it would sound like a blown gasser big block...... but with the Hypermax team crushing the ET record and the Sheid team pushing 220mph....... I doubt GB will ever let the rail out of the shop just to run and be a distant third. Just my wild ass guess.......

I honestly would too. Banks involvement in diesel has been bitter sweet IMO. On the one hand, they DID put the effort into setting the bar and actually built/ran a REAL prostock diesel. But, on the other hand, hardly anyone ever saw it run (except on you tube and banks tv) due to the lack of effort to campaign a truck in a mostly empty (at the time) class.
The GOOD thing about that, is that they DIDNT take the prize money every weekend from everyone else who actually needed it to keep racing, and in that way, helped the sport exist rather than suffocating it. IMO, what the sport REALLY needs is more events with bigger turn-outs and bigger purses. But in this economy even established racing is running a bit leaner, so its an uphill battle. Good news is, its still going and events are getting larger with more exposure and closer competition.

No records there then?

Banks ONLY did the powerplant, which not only didn't fail, but did demonstrate in practice runs the car easily had the power to win.

It takes a LOT more effort to win against a challenger than a number. Now that the class has a couple people in it, it wouldnt be so easy to win anymore.

Banks set the record what four or five years ago... I bet if they set their mind to it it wouldn't be that hard to find a few tenths, hell they were still running a torque converter..... but since it doesn't appear to be in their marketing plans, we will probably never know
just wondering.... who besides wade is anywhere near the mid sevens?

Was Banks diesel record in a streamliner type vehicle or true pickup? They may have been different classes. The 6.7L went 179mph Saturday and 176mph Sunday Morning. With the previous record being 167mph. But again this was a full bodied 08 Dodge Quad Cab Longbed, just lowered with susupension mods and cage. We hit a drive pressure wall with the compounds and couldn't get it to go faster than 179. Switching to a single charger today, hoping to run a taller gear and not hit the drive pressure wall again.

It was a stock bodied Dakota. It must be a different class as the Hypermax Ranger took Banks' SCTA record at 215mph.

At the bottom of the page of the link below has the specs and class(s) the banks truck ran at Bonneville.

This was also on Track 3, the 3 mile track. Not the big 5 mile track. Truck kept flattening out due to drive pressure at the 2-1/4 mile mark. So there is a lot more left in the truck.

Would also like to add this is a street driven truck, that has actual license plates. Has a quick change rear-end, so he just switches gears and street drives it. Very clean running at that.

Thats awesome the progress the truck is making, Where is the thread around here about this truck? I remember seeing it but don't remember where it is.

FWIW, the Banks truck towed its own spare parts trailer to the salt flats form SoCal and back. Its also drove the entire Hot Rod power tour one year.
On a side note, the one part that failed at Bonneville on the banks truck was the quick change rear end.

Banks Power | Banks Sidewinder Dakota - The Worlds Fastest Diesel Truck

Last edited:
That's pretty bada** the Banks truck towed its owns parts trailer up there !
There's no threads on the truck, the guy I work for sponsors the truck and we help Tim out as much as possible. The truck is 622 Salty Box Racing, and I checked to see if it was set for a record on SCTAs site and it was. Wish I knew more about the class structure so I could clarify which category it was set for. As Im fairly new to Salt Flat racing. I came home last night to be to work this morning. As of about 5pm they were finishing up the single so he can try for another record tomorrow, so he can do the back up run on Wednesday before racing ends Thursday.

It was a stock bodied Dakota. It must be a different class as the Hypermax Ranger took Banks' SCTA record at 215mph.

At the bottom of the page of the link below has the specs and class(s) the banks truck ran at Bonneville.

Thats awesome the progress the truck is making, Where is the thread around here about this truck? I remember seeing it but don't remember where it is.

FWIW, the Banks truck towed its own spare parts trailer to the salt flats form SoCal and back. Its also drove the entire Hot Rod power tour one year.
On a side note, the one part that failed at Bonneville on the banks truck was the quick change rear end.

Banks Power | Banks Sidewinder Dakota - The Worlds Fastest Diesel Truck

The record Banks still claims is a FIA record which is different than SCTA or USFRA. The hypermax could have been in the same class but beating an SCTA record doesn't take the FIA record unless a FIA representative is there to verify the course, engine, body, etc. FIA being the world body for speed records, where BNI, SCTA, ECTA, and USFRA are more "local" sanctioning body records than FIA.

FWIW, last I heard, it was around 10k per vehicle attempting an FIA record to have a representative to come out and make all the proper verifications. There's also another fee, not sure how much exactly, to have the record actually awarded to you after you've beaten the standing record.

That's a considerable chunk of change that narrows the competitors down even further that might have a shot at taking that record away. Which is probably why it won't be beaten any time soon.

Also, the Banks truck didn't tow it's own trailer all the way to the salt. It was trailered almost the entire way, unloaded just outside of town and driven in towing the trailer. More publicity stunt than actual event.

I read the link you posted.
Banks was in Diesel, Supercharged (Group) and Class 17 (5.5-6.0L)
And this one was in Diesel, Turboed and Engine size is 6.7L so he'd be in a different group, and class. So Im guessing that's where the record differences are.

That clears a lot of the confusion up on my part Turbo Performance. Beings these are only SCTA records. Like I said Im new to Salt Flat racing.

I believe "supercharged" is used as a generic term for forced induction. Banks cummins was turbocharged with a then new VNT turbo.

Didn't know if they separated the SC and Turbos but your probably right.

Tim should be making passes today as well. Little disappointed in the turbo set up HTT talked him into running so I guess well see what it does. I think he just did it for the short time frame to finish out the week. And when he gets back home he has a GT45 single he's going to run for Octobers event.

what happened to Project X that Greg Hogue had his hands in w the Texas mile and how would it compare to yalls discussion?

Back