Ryan/Banks Super-Turbo Freightliner

1.Blowers are very inefficient at high boost levels
2.And also take a lot of hp to drive at high boost
3.Turbo's don't, but have nothing off-idle.

Unless they are parallel, that turbo can only ingest what that Whipple produces, making what the turbo wants to do somewhat trivial.
Is this to say the turbo only really reduces they parasitic load of the Whipple in this application?

From my Not-So-Smart phone

All I can think of is that Tormentor fellow screaming that blower into turbo into engine would never work. LOL

Yeah. I can't wrap my head around why the variable part (turbo) would in in the middle... but.. meh.

Based on what Jason is saying, that's the best I can theorize being a lowly diesel tech and all. The super is the defining factor. So:
1) the turbo can't move more than the super can produce
2) the Whipple determines total boost because of its fixed displacement.
3) if the turbo spools, the resulting energy from the turbine is now a reduction of energy required by the Whipple to move the air charge.
Someday I will have the ability to quantify this. And I will keep it all to myself. :D

Based on what Jason is saying, that's the best I can theorize being a lowly diesel tech and all. The super is the defining factor. So:
3) if the turbo spools, the resulting energy from the turbine is now a reduction of energy required by the Whipple to move the air charge.
Someday I will have the ability to quantify this. And I will keep it all to myself. :D
I don't think someday, I think you pretty much have it!

JQ, don't pat him on the back. He will a get a big head and all

Sorry, sometimes I forget the cardinal rules of the Internet...never compliment anyone, hate everything, and get in passionate fights with people you don't know...:nail::lolly:

Unless they are parallel, that turbo can only ingest what that Whipple produces, making what the turbo wants to do somewhat trivial.
Is this to say the turbo only really reduces they parasitic load of the Whipple in this application?

Dont worry, I'm sure it has a boat load of nitrous to make up for the poor design. :nail:

Please let Gail know I can fix this when he's ready to add me to his payroll. :lolly:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6HZdMJwnU"]Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
What is actually poor about it though? Without a lot more information I wouldn't be able to argue that its poor.

1.Blowers are very inefficient at high boost levels
2.And also take a lot of hp to drive at high boost
3.Turbo's don't, but have nothing off-idle.

yes and no. roots yes. twin screw, no. i takes VERY little power to turn our 8.3l whipple and it makes more boost than our old roots at a 1/4 of the speed.

being the 8.3 whipple is rated at 30psi at 3250 cfm at 12k rpm. not sure how the whipple determines total boost since the turbo is compounding it.

The turbo is never going to move more air that the Whipple can provide. Like I said, I don't think compounding was the intent.

The turbo is never going to move more air that the Whipple can provide. Like I said, I don't think compounding was the intent.

My point was the whipple can supply more air than the turbo needs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Does anybody remember the old two stoke diesels with a supercharger. It was actually an air mover, it produced a small amount of pressure.

From another forum "Old two stroke diesel (Detroit Diesel) engines all had a type of supercharger (driven directly off the engine), that was required with the design in order to scavenge; while the piston was down, blow out the exhaust gases and refill the cylinder with fresh air. The newer crop of four stroke diesel engines do not require positive scavenging."

detroit2.png

For this Hill climb application, they allow greater power at higher altitudes. The air is thin at altitude, and this reduces power. Pumping in more air can restore full power.

Looks like they turned up the fuel a bit on it....love the throttle response in the S-turns at 24-31sec!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvt0C3Ov6s"][HD] Mike Ryan Pikes Peak Hill Climb Technical Inspection - Donuts and Cones - Size Matters - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like they turned up the fuel a bit on it....love the throttle response in the S-turns at 24-31sec!

[HD] Mike Ryan Pikes Peak Hill Climb Technical Inspection - Donuts and Cones - Size Matters - YouTube

I get the whole throttle response issue with a supercharger versus turbos, but has anyone made good power with one? By good I mean say 800hp. Seems like if it had good throttle response an 800hp setup that was reliable and hopefully a bit quieter might be fun. It wouldn't be much on top end, but might make a nice daily driver. Especially if the smoke level and egts were down a bit.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what makes them sound like that? Is it the gears or the rotors?

On a gas motor you really can't hear it until the throttle is opened, but on this it's always there... makes me think it's the rotors.

Back