s480 brands/ sizes?

bluelineranch

hey everyone Im new to the twin turbo thing and in my research Ive found that they arent cheap :lolly: what brand and size s480 would you recommend as a bottom turbo to a 64/12/65 and where would you would recommend getting one for a reasonable price

S480 is a Borg Warner turbo, so only one brand to choose from, and it already designates part of the size.

The S4xx tells us it is a 400 series chassis, the 80 tells us it is an 80mm inducer.

After that it is just picking the turbine wheel size, the exhaust housing A/R, and standard cover or race cover.

thats what I meant about size sorry, what size turbine and exhaust housing? can you order directly from Borg Warner?

Im thinking 1.10A/r with 83 compressor Or a 1.32 A/R with a 96 compressor. Will the bigger compressor make up for the bigger exhaust ? or would I be ahead to go with the smaller and order the race cover for it?

I wouldn't suggest the s480 with the 83 turbine, they like to surge, etc. Just too big of compressor for the turbine in my experience.

i feel like your going kind of small on both turbos for the exhaust side compaired to the compressure side your after.. what are you using this for? and are you planning on an exturnal gate?

Last edited:
the top is already wastegated, but I will likely add a big external waste gate, its a daily driver but I want to take it to the track and dyno it some too, Im looking to hit 600 hp but its not easy at 6000 feet I've got 6x12s a redline and smarty on it for fuel and im having trouble hitting 30 lbs boost with the 64 as a single I had a K31 on but it was trouble having only a .80 a/r exhaust and no wastegate!

I suppose I mean compound or sequential turbos sorry about the turbo slang, like my sig says Im new at this lol

the secondary was a d tec 64 and 6x18 injectors, I scraped the idea for those compounds I hated running the 64 as a single and there are much better turbos out there than a d tec.

I will now be running a s366 with plans to compound it some day