School me on wastegates!

Camotanker

All American Retard
Thanks for looking...

So with big injectors, twin pumps, and the usual suspect mods...

I have the Industrial twins (62/14 over s400). With air compressor hooked up to the wastegate, it starts to fire about 35psi untouched out of the boxes from the get go.

At WOT with the boost elbow screw wide open, I see 60psi boost overall.
At WOT with the boost elbow screw closed, I see 65psi boost overall.

Does this tell you, the wastegate guru's, anything at all?
No I don't have a gauge on the DP yet.

My main issue is that I feel I should be seeing way more than 60psi of boost.

The wastegate when actuated moves I would guess 1/4" to 1/2" in travel.

When changing the Smarty to the PPE and boost elbow screw closed I can see almost 70psi. Still seems low to me.

What am I missing??? Should the wastegate be opening at lower boost? Should it be traveling further when open?

thanks guys.

the wastegate is set for a PSI amount to open it. with the boost elbow closed its not letting the psi get to it so it doesnt open.

my guess is with the PPE, there is different tuning so you are able to build more boost.

i just think its odd, that people with the same TNT revo software are pushing over 60psi of boost on the same twins, no? I'm going to hit the dyno tomorrow and a little worried its going to be a waste of my time.

just with the amount of fueling i think for sure the boost should be more. i heard of folks hitting 80+psi on similiar setups.

truck doesn't seem to be clearing up either which is weird. shouldn't that be a tell all sign that i need to find more boost?

pop off valves are set to 75psi confirmed per air compressor, so i know thats not it.

thank you.

WILL ADJUSTING THE WASTEGATE ROD MAKING IT LONGER INCREASE BOOST?

thank you.

I think it should be shorter? If you egt's are in check I wouldnt worry about getting more boost.

It sounds to me like you have a boost leak somewhere. If you are only seeing 60 lbs of boost it has to be going somewhere.

Shorten the rod for more boost. Shorter rod puts more spring tension preload on the wastegate flapper puck. More preload means more boost and or drive pressure is required to open the wastegate.

Camo,

Your signature says 667hp.
Have you added power since then or is it the same?

Shorten the rod for more boost. Shorter rod puts more spring tension preload on the wastegate flapper puck. More preload means more boost and or drive pressure is required to open the wastegate.

however, does this matter?
the truck makes only 5 more psi boost with the boost elbow closed instead of open.

i was running 660hp with a single cp3 and flux2's.
i have since upgraded to dual cp3's and flux 4.8's. i dynoed yesterday and rolled 693. only 30 more hp going to duals... a big difference is that the smoke never clears up now!!! the rail is 24k plus and boost is limited to about 60 on and off the road.

the top cp3 is a stock one. the bottom one is a floorit stage 2 if it matters. i also have the dual feed line hooked up to the bottom pump if that makes sense. not sure if that could be complicating issues.

If you close off the boost elbow and tighten the rod you will then have drive pressue opening the gate. Is the S400 gated?

Try turning the power in the programmer down.. I bet you have way to much fuel.

Does the boost gauge flutter at 60psi? or is it stable at 60?

I was thinking over fueled but I didnt want to say it and sound stupid. Isnt that kind of much for a 62/ S400 to deal with?

Try turning the power in the programmer down.. I bet you have way to much fuel.

Does the boost gauge flutter at 60psi? or is it stable at 60?

we turned the programmer down and it lost power.

the boost is stable. i do not see a flutter.