Semi Towing

cumins01

Not sure if this the right place, but here goes. Want to use the farms semi to pull my 20+5 gooseneck with my pulling truck on it. (20,000lb. trailer). The question is most goosenecks use electric brakes and semi is air. Can you install a electric brake controller on the semi and will be able to pass a DOT scale or inspection?

Why wouldn't you be able to? And why are you goin into a scales when your hauling something you own?

I thought you had to pass thru the scales no matter what. I thought you could rig up a brake controler but not real sure how. Plug in play on a normal truck but air I'm lost.

Should be able too, must controllers are triggered off of the the activation of the brake lights.

Paint the pulling truck so it looks like a pulling truck and put a not for hire sticker on the door of the farm truck and go through the scale house...you're not going to be over weight with that little load and as long as all the brakes and lights on the rig are working you have nothing to worry about.

Yes an electric brake controller will work on a semi truck, it's no different that putting one on a pickup.

Last edited:
For the record I use a semi w air brakes and a trailer w elec every day. Never had any trouble in the scalehouses. Also if you put "not for hire" on the side of your rig I think your allowed to bypass scales no matter what weight you are. Technically you probably should have RV tags on the truck but that would only matter if you get caught.

air brake require a cdl here...whether its on a trlr or semi tractor

If someone is asking this question I seriously wonder about them passing a cdl test.

Here you go,
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-45-hayes-airelectric-brake-controller.aspx

But if your using a true 10-wheel semi to tow just that much between jakes and brakes that are on the truck I think it can more than handle slowing down what you have behind it. Look at what JUST a semi weighs and only the semi being towed by a semi wrecker. I would rig one up to make it look good or spend the coin for the one above.

I drive our semi loaded to the elevator all the time. CDL test is no problem, if I need it I will get it. I just don't go thru any scales mostly country roads and some intersate. I just want to use it insead of my 3/4 ton truck for the reason 1) pleanty of braking power and 2) pleanty of pulling power. Just never had to cross a scale before thats why I am asking the question. I guess if you drive "normal" there should be not reason you would ever get caught.

Well, You are driving a commercial vehicle with airbrakes. If the vehicle is airbrake equipped and not being used for farm reasons or within farm miles and is rated for over 26k you do need a cdl. Your reasoning for using it is fine. Going over the scales is no problem because you would not be over weight for that truck. Just drive over. If you get pulled over without that cdl, Well lets say your chance of ever getting one would be slim. Remember federal dot is everywhere and even at the scales. You can go over the scales and could still be told to pull in for a on spot inspection.
If I was dot on the road and saw you drive by with a setup like that I would probably question whether you had the proper documents or not. A semi pulling a 1-ton load isn't something seen everyday.

You need to take an air brakes test and then get an endorsement on your license. But IMO if your goin to the work of getting the endorsement you may as well get get a full CDL.

I drive our semi loaded to the elevator all the time. CDL test is no problem, if I need it I will get it. I just don't go thru any scales mostly country roads and some intersate. I just want to use it insead of my 3/4 ton truck for the reason 1) pleanty of braking power and 2) pleanty of pulling power. Just never had to cross a scale before thats why I am asking the question. I guess if you drive "normal" there should be not reason you would ever get caught.

The new super coops have heat sensors for each wheel on the truck to check brake function, they also have cameras that check many safety points on the vehicle including seat belt compliance, a failure in any one area is reason enough for them to red light you and check the rig, however I would definitely use a tractor truck as a tow rig rather than a pickup truck, just keep the brakes adjusted properly, all the lights working and 4 chains on the load, one each corner. If you know the DOT is working it's not hard to bypass a scale house.
What endorsement would you get?

You would get an air brake endorsement! :shake: Like Loren said, if you're going that far, for the same money and paperwork you may as well get a CDL.

Last edited:
Read your damn state laws unless your still in high school in which case I'll forgive you cause more than likely you haven't learned to read yet.

Really? Is there such a thing in PA?
I have. I am curious if you have because there is no such thing as an "air brake endorsement". At least not for CDL's so I ask if there is one for a Non CDL license?

If you want this to be a technical terminology argument my phone number is 717-423-9903, call me and we'll finish this man style. Otherwise search the d@mn internet and read the law.

Last edited: