Semi Towing

I remember taking a test on air brakes, oh wait....my license has "air brakes" checked under "endorsements"

Let's make this simple. Pull out you PA state drivers license. Now flip it over to the back (the side without your mugshot on it). At the top the very first line beneath the magnetic strip says CLASS: A, B, or C. If yours says C and you drive a vehicle w/air brakes registered at or under 26000 GVW you need to have this little stamp down in the last line of your license (still on the back side) after the word ENDORSE: it will say AIR BRAKE. Now if your license says CLASS: A their will be nothing in the ENDORSE: line (unless you pull double, triples, tank, hazmat or passenger) because in order to get a class A license you need to take an airbrakes test. So is that clear or are you still fuzzy on whether your head is up your ass or not?

Careful he is THE Popo and next thing you know he'll arrest your ass! LOL

Last edited:
Careful he is THE Popo and next thing you know he'll arrest your ass! LOL

If he is an actual popo and he doesn't understand such basic facts it shouldn't be real hard to get anything he arrests me for thrown out in court. Lol

in order to get a class A license you need to take an airbrakes test

You do not have to have the air brake restriction removal to have a class A license.

As far as operating a class C vehicle with air brakes...I have not been able to find hard evidence on the DMV's website that you need the restriction removal. I stuck my nose in this argument just basing it off of what I had heard about air brakes, but I have not been able to find the information to back it up.

Let's make this simple. Pull out you PA state drivers license. Now flip it over to the back (the side without your mugshot on it). At the top the very first line beneath the magnetic strip says CLASS: A, B, or C. If yours says C and you drive a vehicle w/air brakes registered at or under 26000 GVW you need to have this little stamp down in the last line of your license (still on the back side) after the word ENDORSE: it will say AIR BRAKE.

Why don't you show us where there is such a thing as an air brake endorsement? You certainly have read the law in order to be so sure of yourself so it shouldn't be that hard to back your statements with some fact.

Now if your license says CLASS: A their will be nothing in the ENDORSE: line (unless you pull double, triples, tank, hazmat or passenger) because in order to get a class A license you need to take an airbrakes test. So is that clear or are you still fuzzy on whether your head is up your ass or not?

You don't need to take the air brake test to get a class A. If you don't take the test you will receive a "restricted" class A.

Class A without air brakes is only good for pickup/trailer combos where the trailer exceeds 10K lb. GVWR. Class C with the air brake endorsement is very popular among school bus operators as school buses are usually under 26K lb. GVWR.

If the school bus is under 26k, which most are NOT, it still requires a CDL and there is NO air brake endorsement for a CDL.

Last edited:
For the question asked you can tap into your brake switch depending on what the trucks make and model is, there will be a switch under the dash or under the hood, if its under the hood you look on the fire wall, tap into one of the two and run everything else like you would hard wire it in a standard pickup truck ie. ground, battery hot, trailier, control, i just did it 2 weeks ago its easier than it sounds

For the question asked you can tap into your brake switch depending on what the trucks make and model is, there will be a switch under the dash or under the hood, if its under the hood you look on the fire wall, tap into one of the two and run everything else like you would hard wire it in a standard pickup truck ie. ground, battery hot, trailier, control, i just did it 2 weeks ago its easier than it sounds

I have also hooked them up this way.

The controller that uses air brake applied pressure to control the voltage signal to the brakes is really what was the precedent for the integrated brake controllers in the newer pickups. That is the best "air to electric" controller out there. I have installed many in medium duty trucks that had air brakes and were pulling heavy trailers with electric brakes and they work great. You do have to make sure you have the right pin in your trailer plug as the big truck plugs are a bit different than your average 6 round or 7 round or 7 "RV" spade plugs and of course it's not wired or set up for an electric brake signal so you will have to wire into the extra auxiliary pin.

Is that a CDL or Non CDL?

Thanks Shooter that proves my point about CDL's but what about a Non CDL?

That was with a CDL.

In TN to get an endorsement you would at least have to get a class B permit.