Semi Towing

You will not get an air brake endorsement on a regular DL, that's why you cannot find anything on it. If you drive something with air brakes, you need a CDL anyway due to the weight.

That was with a CDL.

In TN to get an endorsement you would at least have to get a class B permit.

There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. You can have the restriction on any class of CDL, A, B, or C. This is a federal thing and does NOT vary between states.

You will not get an air brake endorsement on a regular DL, that's why you cannot find anything on it. If you drive something with air brakes, you need a CDL anyway due to the weight.

There are many under CDL trucks with air brakes as well as RV's.

There are many under CDL trucks with air brakes as well as RV's.

Please, enlighten me, name me one single vehicle with a GVWR under 10,001lbs with air brakes. You do know that if your vehicle or combination of vehicle and trailer is over that and used for commercial purposes you have to have a CDL and DOT #'s. In state use only it does vary from state to state, cross a state line and it's the law.

Now, if you are talking about a vehicle registered as an RV? Yes, there are several that are over 10k lbs that have air brakes and are legal to be driven without a CDL.

On the puller behind a semi, are you competing for prize money? If so, you are considered commercial by the letter of the law since you are transporting for monetary gain, it is not enforced heavily, but it is in the rules.

When in doubt, call up the local DOT office and ask, they will normally be glad to help keep you within the law and out of tickets.

Please, enlighten me, name me one single vehicle with a GVWR under 10,001lbs with air brakes.

CDL is not required at 10,001 GVWR. They are at 26,001 GVWR.

Here is one example of an under CDL truck with air brakes.

2000 FORD F650 Hooklift Truck For Sale At TruckPaper.com

Here are a couple hundred more.

Medium Duty Trucks, Used Medium Duty Trucks, Medium Duty Trucks For Sale At TruckPaper.com - Page 1

You do know that if your vehicle or combination of vehicle and trailer is over that and used for commercial purposes you have to have a CDL and DOT #'s.

The CDL part is not correct. The rest is.

On the puller behind a semi, are you competing for prize money? If so, you are considered commercial by the letter of the law since you are transporting for monetary gain, it is not enforced heavily, but it is in the rules.

Doesn't matter if he is competing for money or not. If it is not considered an RV and it is over 26k CGVWR/GVWR it requires a CDL. But like you said that part may or may not be enforced.

Last edited:

Medium Duty Trucks, Used Medium Duty Trucks, Medium Duty Trucks For Sale At TruckPaper.com - Page 1

Doesn't matter if he is competing for money or not. If it is not considered an RV and it is over 26k CGVWR/GVWR it requires a CDL. But like you said that part may or may not be enforced.

The 26001 lb. law is for the state of PA. NY state law requires a CDL somewhere around 17000 lb. You ain't any smarter than the rest of us so please quit leaving your arse hang out!

The 26001 lb. law is for the state of PA. NY state law requires a CDL somewhere around 17000 lb.You ain't any smarter than the rest of us so please quit leaving your arse hang out!

This really just proves your ignorance. Why not go read the law before posting something like that?

It only takes a minute if you look.

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/cdl101.pdf

Last edited:
If you cross a state line, with a combo of over 10,000lbs for commerce, you need a CDL since you are legally in a commercial vehicle. That is a fed rule which is the guidance I went by when driving commercial.

That truck has a 26k rating, that is not under 10k as I asked about. If you are going to cross a state line with it, you had best have a CDL in your hip pocket.

One more time, in your state, if you do not leave it, yes, those could very well be trucks that do not require a CDL, in my state they do. And if you cross a state line they will require CDL. That is federal law, not state.

Yes, if he is competing for money it matters, that is considered compensation which makes it commerce. There are enough rules out there we could argue this all week so I'll just repeat one more thing, call the local DOT office and ask them. Or call the state office and ask them since they tend to be more on the up and up with the out of the ordinary stuff. Going into it blind will only result in misery if you get pulled over.

If you cross a state line, with a combo of over 10,000lbs for commerce, you need a CDL since you are legally in a commercial vehicle. That is a fed rule which is the guidance I went by when driving commercial.

That truck has a 26k rating, that is not under 10k as I asked about. If you are going to cross a state line with it, you had best have a CDL in your hip pocket.

One more time, in your state, if you do not leave it, yes, those could very well be trucks that do not require a CDL, in my state they do. And if you cross a state line they will require CDL. That is federal law, not state.

You are confusing the definitions of CMV from 2 deferent sections of the FMCSR.

Part 390 CMV requiring DOT numbers and such for interstate commerce;

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR390.5

Part 383 CMV requiring a CDL;

§383.5 Definitions. As used in this part:

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—
(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or

(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or

(c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=0901633480023862

Read the interpretation here;

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.5&guidence=Y

You can clearly read that a CDL is not necesary for trailers over 10k GVWR if the CGVWR is under 26k. You can even operate a combination up to 36k if the trailer is a 10k GVWR.

Yes, if he is competing for money it matters, that is considered compensation which makes it commerce.

The DOT definition of commerce has nothing to do with compensation.

call the local DOT office and ask them.

If this is what they told you it is very poor advice.

Last edited:
They changed that to match federal, it was lower. Looks like the states are finally catching up to the times.

IIRC the CDL cutoff was always 26k. 18k was the cutoff between a class D and a Non CDL class C.

ps. Do you feel a draft?

There is no such thing as an air brake endorsement. You can have the restriction on any class of CDL, A, B, or C. This is a federal thing and does NOT vary between states.

MY LICESNE SAYS ENDORSEMENTS
______AIR BRAKE
______HAZMAT

The other point, if the truck has air over hydraulic brakes you can drive it on a normal D license. Hence the big motor homes.

MY LICESNE SAYS ENDORSEMENTS
______AIR BRAKE
______HAZMAT

So what letter represents the air brake "endorsement"

The other point, if the truck has air over hydraulic brakes you can drive it on a normal D license. Hence the big motor homes.

How about the guys using bobbed class 8's for toters?

Last edited:
I haven't inlcluded hazmat or passenger requirements, big deal.

Go hook a trailer with a GVW of 10,001 lb. behind a 1500 pickup and drive it to your local DMV. Ask a DMV official if you need a CDL to pull that trailer and to top it off use a 12,000 lb. GVWR trailer that is only licensed for 10,000 lb. LOL

Last edited:
Go hook a trailer with a GVWR of 10,001 lb. behind a 1500 pickup and drive it to your local DMV. Ask a DMV official if you need a CDL to pull that trailer

The answer is NO.

Question 2: Is a driver of a combination vehicle with a GCWR of less than 26,001 pounds required to obtain a CDL even if the trailer GVWR is more than 10,000 pounds?

Guidance: No, because the GCWR is less than 26,001 pounds. The driver would need a CDL if the vehicle is transporting HM requiring the vehicle to be placarded or if it is designed to transport 16 or more persons

Interpretation for Part 383.91: Commercial motor vehicle groups. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

and to top it off use a 12,000 lb. GVWR trailer that is only licensed for 10,000 lb. LOL

It wouldn't matter in this example. Otherwise you can't derate a trailer with the registration. You can have the GVWR derated.

Now about that draft. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Last edited:
The answer is NO.

Interpretation for Part 383.91: Commercial motor vehicle groups. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

It wouldn't matter in this example. Otherwise you can't derate a trailer with the registration. You can have the GVWR derated.

Now about that draft. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I know a lot of people that got citations because of some cop that thought he was a god...too bad they didn't know the law. You can indeed derate a trailer in the the state of PA by registering it lower.