Should I do twins...or not?

biglou_is

I have an F350 with a 95 12v (175 hp pump), #6 plate, HX35 (16cm non-waste), DDP 75 hp injectors, and propane occasionally.

This runs great...I tow a 40' toyhauler and whatever else needs tugged. I have a leaking headgasket and I'm pulling it down shortly.

While it is down; I'm upgrading to a 3rd Gen IC, making a custom intake horn, and was putting on a ve351 VGT turbo from a 6.7, and I'm putting in a SBC dual disc. My main concern for the upgrades is towing EGT's. I don't realy have a problem, but I pull long grades up here in Oregon and I want it cooler.

I don't want to build a dyno champ, but I may do some sled-pulling with it. The clutch I'm using in the OEM off of the '04 donor truck the NV5600 came from. I have to be a "good boy" to keep it from melting down.

My question: since I'm already changing my exhause and IC tubes.....I was thinking about putting compounds together with the ve351 (probably an s400).

Do I have enough fuel to make that work? or will it be a tuning problem and a step down in performance until I up the fuel?

For what I do...a good tuned singe turbo will work. I push the HX35 to 46 psi (until the clutch lets loose), but it doesn't mean I have enought fuel to drive twins. I'm confident that the VGT turbo will work good for me (homeade spring conroll w/ some sort of exhaust brake actuator...air most likely) but should I spend a little more to get the other turbo/plumbing?

thanks guys..............

I don't care for propane in a Cummins. It works well enought for ford.

Twins with DDP 75 hp sticks ... just does not sound like enough fuel.

Propane is for bbq. Do yourself a favor and remove the system.

Propane is for bbq. Do yourself a favor and remove the system.

Charcoal and smoked. Propane has no use anywhere :D

If you did, maybe a 71? It's have to be a small primary. Are you looking to use as little fuel as possible, or just don't want to spend money on injectors and fuel upgrades?

If he can get his baby pump to flow the injectors will push it just fine. My 180 pump is pushing a clean no haze 25lbs out of a S475 that is being feed by a 62/65. Bigger injectors would make more power but it will work great for a DD or tow rig that wants clean and efficient power that doesnt lag.

Charcoal and smoked. Propane has no use anywhere :D

If you did, maybe a 71? It's have to be a small primary. Are you looking to use as little fuel as possible, or just don't want to spend money on injectors and fuel upgrades?

I'm looking to try and keep the fuel costs down, (but of course I'm not gonna part with my 40' 5th wheel). Rumor has it the 400 hp level is where the 5.9 (12v)efficiency limit is and you can make more power of course; but mileage take a huge down turn....**this is a generalizatioin - I know there ARE setups out there that disprove that theory...**

I have no problem adjusting/replacing the fuel plate, even upgrading injectors if I choose or delivery valves. I'd rather not drop a $2k race pump on there. My main concern was I didn't want to be that guy that took a good running single turbo system and put on a big compound setup that are too big for my britches.........

Enter the tuning nightmare zone and instant fuel upgrades costs. I really cant afford to have the truck down while tuning it all the time. I have to custom build something as no off-the-shelf twin setups will fit my Ford.

The way I see it....I'm fueliing for about 350-375hp. The twins you generally see are for 400hp+ guys. I do have a friend with an '05 CR (G56) that put the Source Automotive twin kit on; I think a s300/s400. He had an Edge box on when he did it and it worked fine.....then his Edge box puked and returned to all stock fuel/timing settings (325hp). He ran like that for months with the compound setup and it worked fine.....then he got a Smarty to finish it up....then injectors...so on.

But my point is that his twin setup worked fine on 325hp. That's less than I make. Now I know my 12v actually has diesel torque.....and the CR is a revver that pumps more cfm of air.

Long story short....I'm not into the twins idea for underhood bling, or bragging rights, or hp levels. I want to hook on to my big trailer and grunt up the curvy mountain passes, utilizing that low-end 12v torque without wearing my eyes out going from the road to the pyro and back.

I have the VGT.....I have the $1100ish it would take to get a new s400 with all the flanges, clamps, and plumbing pieces. I have the opportunity and skill to fab it all up, but I don't have the time to put it on end up having weeks of tuning issues because I'm running moderate fuel levels.

I live 20 miles from Mr. Eberle at Bell Turbo....I'm gonna go see him today and get his genius insight on the matter. Even though he builds triple and quad turbo systems.....he'll probably tell me a good single will do it. Problem is....buying that good single will be more out of pocket that the compound system I have in mind....

what's redneck to do.....?...
thx

If he can get his baby pump to flow the injectors will push it just fine. My 180 pump is pushing a clean no haze 25lbs out of a S475 that is being feed by a 62/65. Bigger injectors would make more power but it will work great for a DD or tow rig that wants clean and efficient power that doesnt lag.

so what your sayin is if i upgrade to a 5 more hp pump i can go from 12's to 10's?

anybody got a 220 pump for sale?

Also.....about the LPG...

I use it sparingly on a very conservative setting. It does increase my mileage while towing.

Propane = $2.50/gal
Diesel #2= $4.25/gal

I haven't turned it on in a year or so since I've been babying my clutch....don't really miss it. When I go to something other that a slightly laggy 16cm non-waste gated turbo.....the smoke will certainly clean up and I won't need extra oxidizer in the mix to avoid looking like a rubber-burning factory.

I will say that at least LPG is effective....the water-meth system I bought was useless and made no impact to my setup (despite other's success)....but that's a whole other discussion.

Well your clutch wont like you at all. Thats the missing piece, upgrade to a 13'' valair or Southbend that's rated around 500hp.

Put money in clutch first, save for your twins down the road.

Well your clutch wont like you at all. Thats the missing piece, upgrade to a 13'' valair or Southbend that's rated around 500hp.

Put money in clutch first, save for your twins down the road.

I already have a new SDD-3250 Dual-disc South Bend in the box going in when it goes back together....

The new clutch is certainly spurring my interest in boosting the torque level a bit more......

Well in that case your ready to go! what are you waiting for! Tuning the VE might prove to be a little difficult, but it will probably be a nice setup once its all said and done

QUOTE=OrangeNV;1426602]so what your sayin is if i upgrade to a 5 more hp pump i can go from 12's to 10's?

anybody got a 220 pump for sale?[/QUOTE]

No I am saying the fillrate of the cam is better in the 180&215 pumps. 160/175 pump are routinely called baby pumps due to the cam profile. Nothing wrong with them other than it takes a little more work to get it where the better cams are. I have run 175, 180, & 215 pumps and like the 180 the best so far. I dont miss the timing retard of the 215 pump. Now if you really want a 220 pump I am sure I can find a BlueBird bus somewhere :poke:

It's been leaking for a couple years. I think it was a long pull up to the Rubicon Trail hauling 3 rigs....skinny road; no pull-off to cool down. Pushed it too hard.

It seems to work fine, but it heat soaks on the long hills. You can see an obvious rust/mineral path where water leaks down from between the head and block above the oil filter.

My first big trip was to Moab UT weighing 31k pounds. The same radiator/fan setup managed fine water temps all the way. Now any pass longer than 3 minutes starts heat soaking and I gotta pull over to cool.

A new layered metal gasket and studs are in my near future.....

I was just thinking about some nice juicy ribs on the barbeque, wasn't someone talking about propane lifting the head, or mabe salmon sprinkled with brown sugar, barbeque season is gettin closer :Cheer:

I was just thinking about some nice juicy ribs on the barbeque, wasn't someone talking about propane lifting the head, or mabe salmon sprinkled with brown sugar, barbeque season is gettin closer :Cheer:

Could be??? but as I remember....Pro"pain" was not in use. It was 110 degrees....and no pansies in Cali would pump the stuff for me.....Tank was dry. As if LPG is considerably more flammable over 100 deg. I think they just didn't want to leave the A/C in the station.

That was at about the 180k mile mark on a never opened up, but slightly built engine. Perhaps it was prior applications of LPG??? Perhaps it was because it boiled over so hot that it blew apart my plastic radiator overflow. I should have stopped in the middle of the steep, 2-lane with cliffs on the right, but my wife was terrified of the edge...

That's right....I'm man enought to blame it on my wife:badidea: